bit of advice please

Fiddich

Hi guys, started shooting at xmas and bought myself a winchester select sporting 12 gauge. all been going ok but the last couple of weeks i have got a belting black eye off the recoil of the gun and cant figure out why. will it be the gun fit?? Am i doing something different maybe?? Using same cartridges as usual. i cant spend 4 days after each shoot looking like i have been punched

Shoot gun up for a while untill you get the feel of where the gun should be. If it's still clouting you when you shoot it mounted something is very wrong.Are you lifting your head to see if you killed the first bird 'cause that would give you a clout on the second bird if your head wasn't back on the stock properly.Have a lesson with Beretta off here, he will put you right in seconds. from Auntie.

Try some 21 gramms and get a recoil pad fitted if it hasn't already got one. Without seeing you shoot, i would suspect that the gun could be very light but in all my years of shooting i have never seen anyone with a black eye.. Black shoulder/black cheek but never a black eye.Has the gun been modified( had lead weights put in the stock or taken out of the stock ) that would affect the balance and make it lighter. Does it balance well on the centre of your finger or is it barrel or stock heavy?See a coach, you could end up selling a good gun just for the sake of a lesson. Don't be in a hurry to be quick, if you watch all the good shots they look like they have all the time in the world. from Auntie.

Well it is more a black cheek than eye but its all pretty black haha. the gun is fairly light though as far as im aware its not been modified. i bought it second hand but it had only had 5 or 6 hundred cartridges through it so doubt its been touched. was in mint condition and looks original. its barrel heavy but its 32 inch barrells so maybe thats why.

If it is very barrel heavy it might be worth having some counter balance lead weights put in the stock but to be honest i wouldn't consider doing anything untill you have a lesson, whoever you see will spot your problem immediatly. I'm only 5ft 5 and 66 years old but i have shot with 32 inch barrels for 12 years which is OK if they are in balance.Don't part with your gun it sounds to me like there will something very obvious going wrong for you , get help. from Auntie.

I wouldnt rush into selling the gun, just dont want to look like i have been punched every week. will look into having a lesson and try get it sorted. sure its me as its only been the las few weeks i have done it. thanks for all the advice its much appreciated

Think i figured the problem today but unsure how to avoid it. They always have a trap or 2 almost on their backs so it fires straight up and really high and i always take the shot when its at its peak and gun is almost straight up and i got a right kick in the cheek. seems to be these that are getting me

Start with your barrels pointing near the top of the clay and just nudge onto it. If you start with a low gun hold on these espessially with long barrels you will never be able to stop your gun shooting over the top.As an example just try it now with your finger into the corner of the room, If you start with your finger low down you will have ended up on the ceiling and have to readjust, whereas if you start 6inches from the corner it's easy to hit on the corner straight away. from Auntie..

As you said this has started recently could it be you have shed a layer of clothes as the weather has warmed up leaving the gun slightly too short in the stock?

As said previously a coach or experienced shooter should be able to point you in the right direction.

All the best getting to the bottom of you problem.

No i always tend to wear just a t shirt and thin jacket even over the winter so wont be that. Do you guys know anyone in the north west other than worsely?? Sure they are about 50 or 60 quid for tuiton on 50 clays. could just do with one a bit cheaper or is that about right??

Chances are your pulling the gun up into your face on high birds, we've all done it at some point and got a slap/kick off the gun.

As per the good advice from Auntie, get a lesson with a good coach, it will pay off.

100milesaway knows a bit about this clay shooting lark.

Figgy

Yeah hadnt taken much notice before of which ones i was getting the kick off but ad a few of the stands today were high birds i realised. maybe its the weight of the gun bearing down a bit cos the gun is straight up the recoil is felt more. whichever way i need to change technique. thanks for all the advice though guys, especially 100miles. it is very much appreciated