Remington 870 vs Benelli Supernova?

haggis

I bought a remmy 870 express (the laminate stock one) a while back and sold it again within a month. The finish on it was as rough as guts, I was very disappointed with it. My old winchester 120 that had started life on a salmon farm looked better than the remmy did after a couple of weeks doing very little.

Super nova every time.

It`s worth knowing that the SN is the best selling pump in the US.

I`ve got a 26" barrel SN which has a 3.5" chamber so it will shoot every cartridge available. It handles reasonably well. It is, for the price, quite well made.It is constructed almost exclusively of plastic so there is less to rust or dent.

Apart from the barrel length,the Remington 870 is none of these things.

I had a supernova in max4 camo beautiful gun as stated above was 3.5" but it will cycle anything. Took it out in all weathers especially terrential rain and never ever faulted me once! I think it cost me £580 new, came with 3 flush fit chokes, 1/4, 1,2 & full.

Lovely gun mate i do regret selling it and I went to the store a few months back and it was still there and if id have had the funds at the time id have bought it straight back but as of now its been sold.

I have never had the 870 but i did have a versa max which was a bit too long for me, but i can tell you from experience the supernova was a joy to shoot and the Comfortec stock works a dream my essex sbs kicks like a mule when i shoot 32g 6s through it but the supernova i could comfortably shoot 3.5" 63g fiocchi all day.

I believe a lot of waterfowlers use the supernova too

ATB

Lewis

I own both of these guns. A 1977 Wingmaster in 26" barrel, and a SuperNova with a 24" barrel. I really like both of them. The Benelli has a lot more bells and whistles, but the Remington is a super classy and totally reliable gun. I have the feeling it will out live me :)

Don't get hung up on barrel length, there are other things to consider. For example, my 870 is the same length as the Benelli, despite it's barrel being 2" longer.

Much as I love both guns, if I had to choose, I'd keep the Remington, despite the fact that it's currently in (semi) retirement.

Edit. Please don't confuse an Express with a Wingmaster. Also, Mudpattern, where did you get that info from mate? I'm fairly sure the 870 is the best selling shotgun in the United States, ever. They have sold over 10 million of them.

Edited by throdgrain

I would imagine the Benelli is in a different price range than the Remmy. You couldn't really fault an older 870 as they were well made and nicely finished. I agree with Aister the newer ones are pretty rough. If going new and can afford the Benelli it would be my choice.As to barrel length, if I were pass shooting or waterfowl or driven birds a 28" tube would be great, for all around shooting such as birds over dogs and skeet,sporting clays(maybe) the 26" tube is maybe handier. The longer tube doesn't shoot any further it just seems to point more precisely at longer range---either should have removable tubes.

Just to point out (incase you make the mistake I did), the Benelli is a very long gun. A supernova with a standard stock and 28' barrel is longer than most o/u with 32' barrels!

My mate can't fit his in his cabinet unless the barrel has been removed, and mine was a squeeze, hence why I P/X'd it for a 26' :good:

I did wonder about that my 30" 686 with victorys is squeeze in my cabinet cheers. Seen few 28" benellis for sale thought 26" or 24" might be better. I shot a mossberg 24" with a 15" stock and found it hard to pump it and Im 6ft 3 the guy who owned it was a good 6" on me so it fitted him ok!