what fly

colin lad

Could do with a bit of help from the fly fishermen on here

have just got back from a go at the trout in the stream that runs through camp site i had a couple of takes on a small black fly but nothing much

there was plenty rising

not sure of what they were after they looked like small mayfly any ideas Colin

the small river is the char at charmouth

probably small dark olives or march brown,s.

thanks will google them see what they look like

i have inherited my dads fly gear there is hundreds of fly's he may have some

bit new to this type of fishing not sure what they are all called

Colin

Take a look at how they are feeding too, are they sipping or gulping the water or do you just see a fin rising or rolling through it, should help you understand if they are feeding off the top or just underneath or deeper. Look at whats in the water and coming out of it and match it as best as possible.

IMO you can't beat dry flies for the fun of watching the takes but hitting those takes isn't always the easiest of things, most of my fishing is done on small still waters not rivers though, the one fly that rarely fails me is a small olive epoxy buzzer, altering the depth depending on what the fish are up to

oli they are swirls rather than plashes so i would guess just under surface

This is a good read for figuring out what they are likely munching on and at what depth http://www.orvisnews.com/FlyFishing/How-to-Match-the-Hatch.aspx If you're there with the kids and the river is safe get them to catch a sample or two whilst you enjoy a beer so you can match it

Thanks will try them

dad left me a few boxes of dry and wet fly made by hardy bros they look very good looks like there are some of flies you are mentioning among them

thanks Colin

I was also left a substantial fly collection but i got too pee'd off loosing the chuffing things up trees. Unless I'm in the middle of a reservoir I don't use them which means I carry a fair bit of dead weight most days.

Well its the end of short holiday and i ended up with 3 small trout of about 8oz each may of been more but we had a down pour Tuesday night and the river charr turned a muddy colour and didn't bother after that

Colin

Good stuff Colin, nothing finer than a trout from running waters.

Other than a Salmon obviously

Good stuff Colin, nothing finer than a trout from running waters.

Other than a Salmon obviously

Or a Sea Trout

Yes, or a Grayling

(I'm sure Clive will be along in a minute with his internationally recognised fly caught mullet)

Err. I would. But someone might question the Michell Match reel in the photograph :ninja:

p.s.

Rob, as you mentioned mullet on the fly, have a look at this: http://www.peche-tv.com/video---peche_du_mulet_en_street_fishing.html#.UZneAMqymC4

Edited by UKPoacher

Err. I would. But someone might question the Michell Match reel in the photograph :ninja:

p.s.

Rob, as you mentioned mullet on the fly, have a look at this: http://www.peche-tv.com/video---peche_du_mulet_en_street_fishing.html#.UZneAMqymC4

Its been so long since I've seen it that the method of catching escaped me. I must be getting confused with the Flounder on the fly which was truly remarkable.

I shall have a look at the clip properly when I get home so that I have the benefit of speakers. Looks tres interesting mon ami.

Tight lines

Rob, Flounders are easy on heavy flies dragged across a mud or sand bottom. They feed largely by sight and the little puffs of silt attract them to the fly.

BlennyFly.jpg

A brown Woolly b-u-g-g-e-r also does well rolled across the current.

I've only had mullet on bread imitation flies - the Warburton's Fancy. Can't really count those as fly caught. I tried all sorts of bugs and critters and even some weed imitation flies made out of Marabou as used by Danish nutters fly-fishermen without success. Have you ever seen a grown man laid on his side in muddy estuary about 12" from an incoming tide casting a fly line along the shore so only the last few inches of leader enters the water? If so, that was me :wacko:

I've had loads of 'em on coarse tackle with bread and bits of shellfish, ragworms, etc, but a 'proper' purist fly caught mullet still evades me. You are correct though; a mullet on fly tackle pound for pound is as near to the hardest fighting fish you'll get in the UK.

I'm off to the coast in a few days, a place called Marans that is an inland port with tidal creeks and canals. It is stuffed full of mullet side by side with roach and other coarse fish. Hopefully I'll break my purist fly caught mullet duck. The video has inspired me. :)

Edited by UKPoacher

Hi colin,

if you have any gold head pheasant tail nymphs in your fly box give them a go,they are wet flys but work great on dry fly line with a greased leader on small streams by trotting the nymph down stream past the fish and a slow jerky retrieve with the nymph darting around in the current trout cant resist a nibble.Hope you have some luck .

Rob, Flounders are easy on heavy flies dragged across a mud or sand bottom. They feed largely by sight and the little puffs of silt attract them to the fly.

BlennyFly.jpg

A brown Woolly b-u-g-g-e-r also does well rolled across the current.

I've only had mullet on bread imitation flies - the Warburton's Fancy. Can't really count those as fly caught. I tried all sorts of bugs and critters and even some weed imitation flies made out of Marabou as used by Danish nutters fly-fishermen without success. Have you ever seen a grown man laid on his side in muddy estuary about 12" from an incoming tide casting a fly line along the shore so only the last few inches of leader enters the water? If so, that was me :wacko:

I've had loads of 'em on coarse tackle with bread and bits of shellfish, ragworms, etc, but a 'proper' purist fly caught mullet still evades me. You are correct though; a mullet on fly tackle pound for pound is as near to the hardest fighting fish you'll get in the UK.

I'm off to the coast in a few days, a place called Marans that is an inland port with tidal creeks and canals. It is stuffed full of mullet side by side with roach and other coarse fish. Hopefully I'll break my purist fly caught mullet duck. The video has inspired me. :)

I remember Mike Ladle's maggot fly exploits on the Dorset coast in Sea Angler mag in my youth, the photos were glorious. I tried for mullet on the fly up Reculver in Kent during the summer over high water when the tides were building and the weed on the strand had had a good old fester. I tried using a small chomper type thing to look like a sand hopper but failed to connect despite fish being within inches of the fly. Tried retrieving at all speeds but they werent at all fussed. The high point of the day was a young maiden in a virtually sheer bikini cavorting in the surf. I could see the lot. It still ranks as one of my best days fishing for that reason alone.

I remember Mike Ladle's maggot fly exploits on the Dorset coast in Sea Angler mag in my youth, the photos were glorious. I tried for mullet on the fly up Reculver in Kent during the summer over high water when the tides were building and the weed on the strand had had a good old fester. I tried using a small chomper type thing to look like a sand hopper but failed to connect despite fish being within inches of the fly. Tried retrieving at all speeds but they werent at all fussed. The high point of the day was a young maiden in a virtually sheer bikini cavorting in the surf. I could see the lot. It still ranks as one of my best days fishing for that reason alone.

I suppose you were too busy 'jigging' to worry about the mullet :ninja:

:lol:

I have fancied giving the fly a go on Mackrell and Pollock for a while now. Think I may dust off the gear. There is a cracking mark off the back of Kircudbright for Pollock and a hand full of Mackies too. May have to make the Pilgrimage :D

Edited by Lord Geordie