.22 Hornet test results

So after good day of tips and tricks on home loads (from forum member. Thx btw :good: )

today i did test run on my loads. did test on 12.4 12.5 12.6 12.7 12.8 and 13 grains of lil gun powder and CCi SR primers.

so that is result i did get with 12.8 load.

13 and others were all over but one still to test is 12.9

one more thing. i just left my hornet for screw cut for sound mod. and question was how much to chop off.

it is standard CZ 527 american. (and length is :whistling: ) should i cut it or just keep it standard.

Btw target is 20mm size and group is 7 shots.

post-51394-0-71155700-1368045276_thumb.jpg

Edited by alendil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you decide to chop the barrel, just be prepared to lose about 25ft/sec per inch chopped. This is not a given but the possibility should be borne in mind.

thats why i stick to standart lenght . bloke in the chop shop said that if i dont chop it it will be very long with moderator.

hmm in future there will be plenty oportunitis to chop it shorter.

Good group............ I bet your more than happy with that.

Yes well happy.

Looking good mate :good:

See not so hard after all :)

Thank You. well easy :yes::good:

its lee hand press .

i did start loading to find good load for hornet and to save some money .

all ammo is with light crimp. full lenght resize for first time and from now on i will only neck size them.

i hope group will be there when moderator will go on.

I cut mine to 18 inches, 11.5 grains of H110 and a 35 grain V-max still clocks over 3050fps for a 5 shot string

40 and 45 grains soft points with 13 grains of LilGun are also over 3020fps for a 5 shot string.

If it was my only C/F I would have left it full length, but even so I have taken foxes at over 175 yards with all bullet weights listed.

Neil.

it is my only C/F and in future only one extra will be .243 for deer. ( if i will be lucky with deer permit)

i will stick with 45 grain SP for fox and hare for anything else i have .17 hmr and .22 LR

just wondering what sort os fps 12.8 lil is producing.

I cut mine to 18 inches, 11.5 grains of H110 and a 35 grain V-max still clocks over 3050fps for a 5 shot string

40 and 45 grains soft points with 13 grains of LilGun are also over 3020fps for a 5 shot string.

If it was my only C/F I would have left it full length, but even so I have taken foxes at over 175 yards with all bullet weights listed.

Neil.

That is an outstanding achievement. Not too bothered about the 35 V Max or the 40gn, but would well chuffed if you'd give the component details (bullet, primers, cases, etc) for the 45 gn load. I can't get anywhere near that in my 18" barrel.

Cheers

it is my only C/F and in future only one extra will be .243 for deer. ( if i will be lucky with deer permit)

i will stick with 45 grain SP for fox and hare for anything else i have .17 hmr and .22 LR

just wondering what sort os fps 12.8 lil is producing.

In the 26" Ruger with a 45gn Hornady Hornet, 12.8 is giving 2880.

Have been doing some more reading up mainly from over the pond where the 22 hornet is still very popular and rarely is left original.

Lil gun is beeing pushed to one side as the best powder by allient 300 mp.

It is coming to be the powder of choice being an ultra small ball type powder it is magnum pistol and 22 hornet specific, being of a high density to fit more bang in your small space ;)

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=29&cartridge=44

Good results found in standard and k veriations.

I have read that in the k veriations people have been really pushing the cartrage out and getting close to 3500 fps with a 40 grain nosler. But obvious case life issued have insued :( them crazy Americans he he.

Just wondering how much load will be afected by change of brass from winchester to PPU.

Have been doing some more reading up mainly from over the pond where the 22 hornet is still very popular and rarely is left original.
Lil gun is beeing pushed to one side as the best powder by allient 300 mp.
It is coming to be the powder of choice being an ultra small ball type powder it is magnum pistol and 22 hornet specific, being of a high density to fit more bang in your small space ;)
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=29&cartridge=44
Good results found in standard and k veriations.
I have read that in the k veriations people have been really pushing the cartrage out and getting close to 3500 fps with a 40 grain nosler. But obvious case life issued have insued :( them crazy Americans he he.

is that powder any safe . One thing i like about lil gun is 13 grains fils bras to the top and there is litle chance for double load etc. and plenty of spare presure left.

i dont want to start new topic but just been offered jms t12 mod secondhand (50 shots) for 230 gbp

is it any good for .22 hornet and is price any good ( new one 341 gbp)

and in future it will share slot with .243

is moderator like that going to affect my hornet a lot (POI etc)

Thank You for help again :good:

That is an outstanding achievement. Not too bothered about the 35 V Max or the 40gn, but would well chuffed if you'd give the component details (bullet, primers, cases, etc) for the 45 gn load. I can't get anywhere near that in my 18" barrel.

Cheers

Remington well used and only ever neck sized cases, trimmed but to max length, not to trim length, rem 6 1/2 primers, Hornady 45 grain soft point hornet bullet.

Each case is carefully neck sized with a collet die, expanded slightly with a Lyman M die, and firmly crimped with a Lee factory crimp die for an OAL of 1.735"

Lil'gun a full case with drop tube = 13.8 grain as near as, it is a very compressed load, I steadily worked up to this, and it is safe in my

rifle, the cases seem to be ok as well, which was a surprise.

I don't actually use it much these days as I now have a .243 as well, so just stick with 35 grain V-Max for all that I use the hornet for, (hmr replacement) rabbits and foxes to 200 yards or so.

Neil.

Yes i think your moderator will affect you POI as it changes the harmonics in you barrel i would have tested all those loads with a sound moderator fitted but thats me sorry to say i hope i am wrong but it made a difference on my 223 when i forgot my sound mod one day at the range.

it will affect POI but will group stay ok or it will open up.

It will most prob shoot slightly lower as with the extra weight on the end. Best to check when it's on the pod that the barrel is still clear of the stock :)