.22 Hornet test results

It will most prob shoot slightly lower as with the extra weight on the end. Best to check when it's on the pod that the barrel is still clear of the stock :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ye sound mods bend barrels funny what are you using??

the sound mod cound change the harmonics of the barrel hence shanging the point of aim slightly also could open group up slightly but it may do the oppersite i found on my 223 with the sound mod on i was hole on hole without i was 1/2 inch group on my 243 with sound mod off groups 6 inch left and slightly higher.

i would like to know your results as its all a learning experiance :good:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ye sound mods bend barrels funny what are you using??

the sound mod cound change the harmonics of the barrel hence shanging the point of aim slightly also could open group up slightly but it may do the oppersite i found on my 223 with the sound mod on i was hole on hole without i was 1/2 inch group on my 243 with sound mod off groups 6 inch left and slightly higher.

i would like to know your results as its all a learning experiance :good:

Have had the gun in my hands.

So we have more testing done

Rifle is CZ 527 American .22 Hornet + mod ( T12 )

firs off all i do like this mod and in future if i need one for .243 it will doo the job.

test shot on left is 100m in 2-3 mph cross wind.

45 grain SP sierra bullet, CCI SR primers, winchester brass neck size, 12,8 grains Lil gun powder.

test shot on right is

same but 12.9 Lil gun powder

BTW its 5 shot group.

post-51394-0-75394000-1368567740_thumb.jpg

You can go on and on developing loads, (seems the pre-occupation of most home loaders) but there doesn't look a lot wrong with that to me for day to day field use! :good:

Thank You

i am happy with this load and i think i will just stick to what is working. Just wondering how much better will be with smaler or no wind

and from propper bench not bipod in the middle of the field

btw target is 23mm

So we have more testing done

Rifle is CZ 527 American .22 Hornet + mod ( T12 )

firs off all i do like this mod and in future if i need one for .243 it will doo the job.

test shot on left is 100m in 2-3 mph cross wind.

45 grain SP sierra bullet, CCI SR primers, winchester brass neck size, 12,8 grains Lil gun powder.

test shot on right is

same but 12.9 Lil gun powder

BTW its 5 shot group.

what OAL please

Anyone looking for something quick-ish and light but who also uses something with a bit of grunt in their Hornet would probably end up having to use two different powders. Have just tried the Sierra 40gn HP #1385 with the usual Lil'Gun. I got them for a shorter range small quarry load and they're a delight - quiet and no recoil to speak of. But for the sake of it, I tried a slack handful in the other Hornet I use for fox. While staying within the Lil'Gun figures and an easy mag sized (1.750") COL, I'm getting 2950ft/sec. This is just c100ft/sec below the conventional H110 35 V Max reload norm but whereas this bullet has a figure of 0.109, the Sierra BC is 0.155 which more than compensates for the small difference in MV.

Alendil, Like Nicholiath, I'd appreciate that OAL.

Cheers

Edited by wymberley

• 3 weeks later...

How pedantic.

I guess it depends if you think people bother measuring and I think a lot who start with the lee hammer method don't to any real degree. There are a few flaws so far mentioned in this thread that I'll leave someone with more hornet knowledge to point out. Suffice to say its good to learn to reload from someone that really knows what they are doing

just check my notes and COL is 44,5mm 1,750 inch.

and did check about 10 rounds from 50 and all are same lenght.

Hi,

Many thanks, but, argh!, it wasn't the answer that I was expecting. To get any of the smaller Sierra bullets locally means a wait so ordering the correct ones is essential. There are, or probably more accurately, were, two which meet your 45gn SP description - the Semi Point and the Spitzer but I think the former is no longer made but am not certain. I can understand the 1.750" figure for the semi point but with the Spitzer at that COL you'll be running a compressed load - in itself, not a problem - but also because of its length you'll need some poke which theory says you won't obtain - but that's theory which as we know actual practice over-rides - to ensure that the bullet is stabilized. Obviously, you have it sussed.

Could you do me a favour, please? I loaded some 40gn which were a delight to work with but they wouldn't quite do what I wanted - my fault as this was outside their spec' - and now want to try the 45s. Assuming that you are using the Sierra #1310 bullets, could you give me the ogive (bullet base to ogive) length? You may not have the kit for this so if you measure a re-sized (neck or full sized makes no difference) case length and place a bullet in it back to front and measure that distance and subtract the case length figure from that, the result will be close enough or my needs in this instance. Many thanks in advance if you manage to do it.

Finally, just a tip; the Hodgdon loading tables suggest that the minimum COL for your bullet falls somewhere between the detailed 1.750 and 1.850" due to its length. Yep, appreciate that you're a tad (0.1gn) short of the maximum charge and also that Lil'Gun is quite forgiving, but as you are running a compressed load, it may just be prudent to keep a weather eye out for excessive pressure indications.

Cheers

I guess it depends if you think people bother measuring and I think a lot who start with the lee hammer method don't to any real degree. There are a few flaws so far mentioned in this thread that I'll leave someone with more hornet knowledge to point out. Suffice to say its good to learn to reload from someone that really knows what they are doing

And yet the results discredit your every word.

Rim thickness probably vary more than a few thou, Hornet head spaces on the rim.

Most my loads with a wide choice of bullets hovered around 1,800". Some CZ mags were tight but the magazine spacer use to be able to be removed. It was a plastic item and we would stone them to alow a longer OAL or COL.

Don't worry about it alendil, you have a good load sir.

U.

Rim thickness probably vary more than a few thou, Hornet head spaces on the rim.

Most my loads with a wide choice of bullets hovered around 1,800". Some CZ mags were tight but the magazine spacer use to be able to be removed. It was a plastic item and we would stone them to alow a longer OAL or COL.

Don't worry about it alendil, you have a good load sir.

U.

I have to agree its a good load no need to fiddle and fuss :)

Nick j has a done a mod on his mag that I am going to replicate when time allows :)