crows

BIFFYBOY

just wondering if anyone had tried an owl decoy for attracting crows into it? ive heard if the crows see any big bird of prey they will come down and mob it,i was up on the shoot today having a mooch round when i put a buzzard out of a tree, as it got higher there was crows all over it so got me thinking lol if its true i might order one but i just thought id ask .

cheers

biffyboy

Whilst sat in my hide shooting over fresh drillings I watched a load of crows mobbing a fox that just wandered a cross the field.

But the barn owl that was floating up and down the ditches looking for lunch got no atention at all.

The thing was there was very few pigeons (pigeons 2,crows 6 ) but the nature watching was great, I was using a single seat popup hide so well covered from above as well as all round.

Regards Marti

when i am out flying my hawk the crows stay well clear till she kills one then the rest of the crows go ape sh,,,... or if she is sat in a tree after a long chase haveing a rest they will start to mob her but when she is in hunt mode they stay well clear dont forget crows maggpies even all covoids are clever

Edited by 2sledge

just wondering if anyone had tried an owl decoy for attracting crows into it? ive heard if the crows see any big bird of prey they will come down and mob it,i was up on the shoot today having a mooch round when i put a buzzard out of a tree, as it got higher there was crows all over it so got me thinking lol if its true i might order one but i just thought id ask .

cheers

biffyboy

i tried it last Friday with a plastic little owl and a carved wooden barn owl, put the little owl on a fence post and the barn owl on the floor with a dead jackdaw at its feet with some feather pulled out

it worked a treat got 1 rook and 8 jackdaws. the didn't mob it really just circled above it about 40 feet up. i was just sat in the farms bonfire heap, i made a hide out of a few pallets and pushed all the other stuff up against it.

If you can raise the decoy, especially if it's an European Eagle Owl one, up as high as possible near some branches, I've been told that it should work. I have'nt tried this with my decoy though, but will do so in the near future. You could also try attaching the decoy to a fence post, and tie a dead Crow/Jackdaw to it's feet, and spread a few feathers on the ground. I'm going to try this method soon, and will also attach some nylon string to the dead bird so that I can pull at it, to make it look like it's still alive.