new scope

cremator

My mate Andy(camokid) just bought a Bushnell XLT 3-12x56 illuminated Dot scope for use with Lamping.He got it on his .243 but it would be ideal on a Rimfire too.

I also recommend Simmons,Nikko Sterling and Falcon scopes along with Bushnell for use for Rimfires.

It all depends on your budget at the end of the day.

i use a konuspro 3-9x50 for lamping,priced around £80-£90,i find it an excellent scope,you don't need high mag for a 22 :no: ,most of my shots are within 80 yrds at night,using eley subs,deadly on bunnies :yes:medium cross hair will let you see the target under the lamp no prob

Edited by snipers eye

Always tricky, spend what you want, but you REALLY don't need to spend a fortune on a rimfire scope!

...and yes, there are loads about, and loads of reticles as well, you will certainly find something acceptable/usable in the Hawke range as mentioned above...but there are many others as well.

ATB

so i dont need a 50/56

Nope, a 6 by 42 will gather light like a 8 by 56. Just check at 80+ yards under the lamp that 6 mag suits you - it won't everyone. Leave a few £s for a spotting scope if you go for a fixed mag of the lower end for zeroing purposes as you can't wind the scope up to have a shufti. Similarly, a bit left for some bino's if you're not quite sure what you're looking at on occasion. Handy bit of kit is a scope with a bit of flexibility built in. Mind you, not too much weight if you're mooching about.

Nope, a 6 by 42 will gather light like a 8 by 56. Just check at 80+ yards under the lamp that 6 mag suits you - it won't everyone. Leave a few £s for a spotting scope if you go for a fixed mag of the lower end for zeroing purposes as you can't wind the scope up to have a shufti. Similarly, a bit left for some bino's if you're not quite sure what you're looking at on occasion. Handy bit of kit is a scope with a bit of flexibility built in. Mind you, not too much weight if you're mooching about.

Other thing to remember is that most 6x scopes (with out of box parallax setting) do not focus properly at less than 60 metres. A good rule of thumb is to have the parallax reset for 75 yards. This also applies for bush hunting with a centrefire.

P.S. I have tried a scope with adjustable objective (purely as an experiment) for night-time possum shooting, on a private landfill. It was just as much of a disaster as I expected. I recommend that you leave the fancy adjustments for the range, if you want to have the most fun and best results with your shooting.

Best of luck.

Edited by ZG47

The principle of that is of course correct with like for like, but gathering and transmission are not the same, and frankly who cares about gathering, it's what makes it back to your eye that is important.

Tube size, lens quality/grinding/coatings, engineering, etc. "can mean" better quality smaller objective, higher mag scopes, let more light through than cheaper, bigger objective and smaller mag scopes!

Other thing to remember is that most 6x scopes (with out of box parallax setting) do not focus properly at less than 60 metres. A good rule of thumb is to have the parallax reset for 75 yards. This also applies for bush hunting with a centrefire.

P.S. I have tried a scope with adjustable objective (purely as an experiment) for night-time possum shooting, on a private landfill. It was just as much of a disaster as I expected. I recommend that you leave the fancy adjustments for the range, if you want to have the most fun and best results with your shooting.

Best of luck.

I'm not following why adjustable is a disaster, as with a fixed, if you want, what is the problem at focusing at 50-75-100 yards, and leaving it?

ALL my scopes are adjustable and ALL get used at night, with Lamping kit or NV, I don't see your problem!

Perhaps you could elaborate on this disaster, cheers!

Dekers

(Legal) Possum shooting is a walk-and-shoot activity. Ranges vary from several metres to 50-metres but are typically less than 30-metres. Most popular fixed power scope is a good 4x40. Tasco World Class 4x40 used to be first choice (before they wrecked themselves by bringing out multiple "Walmart" ranges) with Nikko Stirling Gold Crown as runner up. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 which is perfect for such control work.

I reiterate (with all due respect) that the AO scope was a disaster in that particular context, as I made clear in my postscript comment. The extremely shallow depth of field is not conducive to that type of work and neither is the reduced latitude of eye-relief that afflicts every such sighting telescope I have used: in shooting practice, competition and field shooting over my 29 years of shooting. They are, quite simply, much more like a dumpy level or theodolite in that aspect of operation than a pure hunting scope or a military scope like the Steyr AUG 1.5x sight.

That being said, use what you like but PLEASE put your comments in context as I strive to do, and did, whilst running a club range for 14 years and taking people for their firearms licence test for just over 16 years.

Edited by ZG47