Do I need a separate ammo safe?

I have my FEO visit booked for Tuesday and i just have a question about safes.

I currently have a tall gun safe which can hold 5 guns and also has a shelf at the top of it. Would this be acceptable to hold ammunition if i get granted my FAC or do i need a different safe with a different lock and key?

I thought i would ask as it would be easier to fit one before the interview rather than making him come back to check it.

When I bought a new Brattonsound safe on moving house I found it cheaper to buy a plain rifle safe with no shelf or internal locker, and a seperate wall mounted ammo safe - a combination lock Sentry in my case, which is also bigger than the integral locker would have been.

Edit: Ace_of_hearts, is your tall 5 gun safe a rifle or shotgun safe? Shotgun safes aren't much good for scoped rifles. Not deep enough.

Edited by Gimlet

Separate safe, I bought a safe from Argos about £30 mad used 2x 6mm bolts to fasten it to the top of cabinet looks good, make sure you get some decent drill bits as my cabinet ate about 3 bits before the job was done :) just looked they still sell them £22.49 ..

Edited by delburt0

Those Argos ones look quite a good deal.

And the safe should be ok as it fits my scoped air rifle fine, its an old second hand one I was given by a family friend and is about 5ft tall. Plus I only have 2 shotguns in it.

Thanks again :good:

Edited by ace_of_hearts

There's loads of small ammo safes on the bay new or second hand.

I bought one new for around £30 delivered and bolted it onto a wall and floor in the loft, got some of that steel putty gunk and put a bead around the small gap between the safe and wall to stop it being pryed.

FEO was more than happy, impressed even.

I got the Argos one in the end, and very impressed with the quality for the price. I have it in the cupboard bolted to the wall and also screwed to the floorboards through the base. FEO has just been round and he was very happy :good:

happy to hear it mate I've had mine yrs and never had a problem my fao preferred the key type to the electronic but I suppose they all have a difference in opinions :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a internal box in my homemade (checked/legal) cabinet. If did have a lock on it but had come of when the FLO came round. He wasn't bothered about it locking, he said it was inside the lockable main cabinet and that was good enough.

I think most like a lockable box though.