Are fish fingers made from chicken?

Reece

I'm not surprised at all. I expect the same kids think food comes from supermarkets and the countryside is a park where you ride your bike. It's the fault of parents and teachers, and the way supermarkets have sanitised food shopping, particularly meat. When I was a youngster there was a butcher in the village, you saw sides of meat and whole carcases hanging up in the cold room or being delivered, and you saw the butcher jointing carcases in front of you. And, of course, the butcher was an on-hand expert who people consulted about about which joints to buy and how best to cook them. I'll bet most kids now have never been in a butchers shop.

From reading this thread it apears there is hope though. I went stalking on my brother's farm for a few days back in the winter. My nephew, who is twelve wanted to help when I skinned and butchered a couple of Roe carcases. We had to do it outside and it was a cold day, but he stuck at it without complaint. He paid attention and cottoned on quickly, learning the name of each cut of meat, and asking sensible questions. He cleaned up as we went without a single yuk or pulled face and he even said the smell of the fresh meat made him hungry. Now he wants his dad to buy him some camo gear and he wants to come out with me when I go next. Good lad.

I'm not surprised at all. I expect the same kids think food comes from supermarkets and the countryside is a park where you ride your bike. It's the fault of parents and teachers, and the way supermarkets have sanitised food shopping, particularly meat. When I was a youngster there was a butcher in the village, you saw sides of meat and whole carcases hanging up in the cold room or being delivered, and you saw the butcher jointing carcases in front of you. And, of course, the butcher was an on-hand expert who people consulted about about which joints to buy and how best to cook them. I'll bet most kids now have never been in a butchers shop.

Ever since I can remember(and long before that)we have had a village butcher exactly as you describe above.The Cumberland sausages were to die for.His reputation was far and wide and people on holiday would stock up with meat to take home to freeze before going back home.Sadly he had a stroke at the age of 85 earlier this year so has decided to retire.His son has sold some pasture land to a developer for around the £4 million mark so local knowledge says,and has retired also;he's only a year older than me(can't fault that;I would do the same)and that's that;no more Cumberland sausage;not like those anyhow.

Another fairly recent butcher in town has taken over the premises and modernised it;gone are the bevelled and worn solid wood chopping/filleting/carving benches,and the only thing hanging off hooks in the window display are cleavers and steels.He has no interest in continuing the sausage recipe from the original butcher.

Still-that's progress I suppose. :no:

Edited by Scully

my thoughts are to get rid or religious education and also foreign language classes in school and replace them with a food ,country surroundings and life needs classes . me and most others in school payed no attention to classes such as re and language it was a waist of time and seen as a big joke ..

they are teaching my five year old about Indian rubbish when she is struggling to wright her name in English :mad::mad: .. its the schools and parents fault for the lack of no how

my thoughts are to get rid or religious education and also foreign language classes in school and replace them with a food ,country surroundings and life needs classes . me and most others in school payed no attention to classes such as re and language it was a waist of time and seen as a big joke ..

they are teaching my five year old about Indian rubbish when she is struggling to wright her name in English :mad::mad: .. its the schools and parents fault for the lack of no how

:lol: AMAZING! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22730613

A news article about how a lot of children don't know where their food comes from.

Nearly a third of primary school children think cheese comes from plants and a quarter think fish fingers come from chicken or pigs.

The survey also revealed confusion about the source of staples such as pasta and bread among younger pupils, with about a third of five-to-eight-year-olds believing that they are made from meat.

Some 19% of this age group did not realise that potatoes grew under ground, with 10% thinking they grew on bushes or trees.

What do you think? Has anyone had any experiences with children who are like that?

A news article about how a lot of children don't know where their food comes from......all food comes from tescos :yes:

mikky