Any Landlords/Eastate Agents

hushpower

Any advice would be most welcome from you knowledgeble pw members. I am thinking of having a dabble in the property market again,and try and build a property portfolio .To make things simple just supposing say i had a spare £100.000 for investing, is it best to say buy aproperty out right then remortgage against that property and use that equity up, to purchase a 2nd property, or put four lots of £25.000 down on four propertys hope fully with the rent paying the mortgage .Thanks for looking .

Edited by hushpower

It depends on your strategy,

If you have 100k

and houses are 50k

rents are 450 pcm

You earn 900 pcm or 10800 pa

Market grows by 10% so you gain 10k in capital value

This is how we do it

If you have 100k

and houses are 50 k

rents are 450pcm

put 30% deposit down 15k and buy 6 houses

you earn 6x450 =2700 pcm rent BUT mortgages are 1200 so net rent is 1500pcm or 18k pa

BUT if market goes up by 10% you gain 30k in capital growth OR the deposits for two more houses

All figures are for illustration only

We have a couple we keep mortgage free for a cushion against big expenditures and voids but you get the idea.

It's a way of loosing a lot of money rapidly if you aren't pretty clued up, interest rate hikes and empty properties are things you need to consider. We have one with no mortgage and that's a pain in the backside, I'm far happier renovating and selling property as you know where you are

Forget cap growth. 25% deposit, interest only mortgage. Get accurate rental val prior to purchase and go for the highest yield of those you see. Buy with tenant if possible and buy with your head not your heart.

'interest only mortgage' i am no investor, but even i can see that this advice is plainly wrong. Who wants to pay forever and end up with nothing, oh please dont tell me you know the house price will quadruple over the years of paying the never ending loan.

'interest only mortgage' i am no investor, but even i can see that this advice is plainly wrong. Who wants to pay forever and end up with nothing, oh please dont tell me you know the house price will quadruple over the years of paying the never ending loan

You sell or die to pay the loan.

Forget cap growth. 25% , buy with your head not your heart.

If you only want a couple of lets to top up the pension I agree,changes things when you get a few and make a business from it.Cap growth is the icing on the cake.

Last bit is hard to do in the beginning.

Edited by Rupert

'interest only mortgage' i am no investor, but even i can see that this advice is plainly wrong. Who wants to pay forever and end up with nothing, oh please dont tell me you know the house price will quadruple over the years of paying the never ending loan.

Clearly you are no investor as approximately 85% of BTL properties are financed that way (edit - probably higher than this on second thoughts)

With regards to the property quadrupling I think you will find I specifically say to forget capital growth

If you only want a couple of lets to top up the pension I agree,changes things when you get a few and make a business from it.Cap growth is the icing on the cake.

Last bit is hard to do in the beginning.

Couldn't agree more. Edited by LondonLuke

the rental markets massive now at least in the south it is. very unlikely property's stay empty and you can insure against that.

With the new build buying scheme, and the fact that rents have peaked (you might as well get a mortgage at current prices), at some point the prices will start to go down. I wouldn't base what people are paying today with what they'll be paying next year.

Clearly you are no investor as approximately 85% of BTL properties are financed that way (edit - probably higher than this on second thoughts)

With regards to the property quadrupling I think you will find I specifically say to forget capital growth

Couldn't agree more.

oh, is that the case, so you explain to me then how you end up owning it, if you never pay off capital, 85%, dont make me laugh, havent you heard whats been happening in the last 5 years. I think you might be mixing up today, with yesterday, when an interest only loan sufficed, because the rises were spectacular and you got in and out with a nice lump. Not sure you are an investor.

oh, is that the case, so you explain to me then how you end up owning it, if you never pay off capital, 85%, dont make me laugh, havent you heard whats been happening in the last 5 years. I think you might be mixing up today, with yesterday, when an interest only loan sufficed, because the rises were spectacular and you got in and out with a nice lump. Not sure you are an investor.

This is an industry I've worked in for the best part of ten years so yes it's an industry I know well.

You are missing the point. You do not end up owning it. You are doing this for an income that is produced in the most tax efficient way. All interest can be written off against profit so as a rule you want the highest borrowing you can against the property.

You mention that you are in and out with a lump sum. That's not how the sector works at all, BTL is a ten year plus commitment

This is from someone more eloquent (and patient)

The interest only route is usually more popular with professional landlords and property investors for two main reasons. Firstly, with an interest only strategy the investor's aim is usually to continue building a sizeable portfolio of property. By choosing this strategy the investor has the cashflow to re-gear their property capital in order to increase their number of properties. This is usually a long term strategy. At the end of the mortgage term, the property is usually sold to repay the initial advance. Secondly, there are certain tax advantages as interest due on buy to let mortgages can be off-set against tax. We recommend that you seek professional advice from a qualified accountant regarding the tax incentives available.

Further more, an article from the FT less than six months ago

Most loans issued for buy-to-let purchases are assessed on an interest-only basis and criteria has not changed.

http://app.ftadviser.com/2013/01/31/mortgages/mortgage-products/how-buy-to-let-differs-from-residential-mortgage-advice-EXZ4QLZjzJIaFhDuEa6zMO/article.html

I run my first house as a rental and it can be a welcome saving pot for the future paying for its self until the mortgage is payed off. But as an investment I would think there could be better ways and an adviser may be worth talking to first as we all know what fun the housing market can be :/

I do believe its 30% capital needed in the property for intrest only buy to let.

And 20% for a buy to let.

your lender my not value the property as it was when you bought it. So even if you did get it at market value with a 25% deposit you may not get the mortgage you require.

This is an industry I've worked in for the best part of ten years so yes it's an industry I know well.

You are missing the point. You do not end up owning it. You are doing this for an income that is produced in the most tax efficient way. All interest can be written off against profit so as a rule you want the highest borrowing you can against the property.

You mention that you are in and out with a lump sum. That's not how the sector works at all, BTL is a ten year plus commitment

This is from someone more eloquent (and patient)

The interest only route is usually more popular with professional landlords and property investors for two main reasons. Firstly, with an interest only strategy the investor's aim is usually to continue building a sizeable portfolio of property. By choosing this strategy the investor has the cashflow to re-gear their property capital in order to increase their number of properties. This is usually a long term strategy. At the end of the mortgage term, the property is usually sold to repay the initial advance. Secondly, there are certain tax advantages as interest due on buy to let mortgages can be off-set against tax. We recommend that you seek professional advice from a qualified accountant regarding the tax incentives available.

i am not missing the point, whether or not you are in a climate of rising prices which is not now, the goal is to end up with an asset that you own. I think you have just posted a load of stuff you googled.

i am not missing the point, whether or not you are in a climate of rising prices which is not now, the goal is to end up with an asset that you own. I think you have just posted a load of stuff you googled.

If you think I would bother to google a random subject and post as if knowledgeable you are out of your tree.

I admit that it CAN be the aim to end up with an asset that is mortgage free but this is not a professional landlord nor the most tax efficient approach.

Edited by LondonLuke

If you think I would bother to google a random subject and post as if knowledgeable you are out of your tree.

I admit that it CAN be the aim to end up with an asset that is mortgage free but this is not a professional landlord nor the most tax efficient approach.

you believe what you want, i am strictly 'old school'. regards.

The goal is never to end up with the asset.Just end up wjth the wage.As I said before you sell or die to pay the loan,either way you have the income until this happens.

Capital growth is the bonus,not guaranteed and not to be banked on.Many landlords of considerable standing will be in negative equity,but as long as they service the loans,

A landlord I know (full time)is in mega negative equity but he still enjoys an income in excess of 80k pa .

The numbers and risks are not for everyone but,the grief from a big portfolio can be huge but done right its a good business.

you believe what you want, i am strictly 'old school'. regards.

Good to know. I prefer to consider the wider picture than to have a tick box definition

My apologies to the OP. for derailing somewhat into a petty argument of views. Welcome to PM me for anything.

The goal is never to end up with the asset.Just end up wjth the wage.As I said before you sell or die to pay the loan,either way you have the income until this happens.

Capital growth is the bonus,not guaranteed and not to be banked on.Many landlords of considerable standing will be in negative equity,but as long as they service the loans,

A landlord I know (full time)is in mega negative equity but he still enjoys an income in excess of 80k pa .

The numbers and risks are not for everyone but,the grief from a big portfolio can be huge but done right its a good business.

id rather clean latrines, than have all that debt and negative equity, plus tenant aggro for a minimal return and no end asset, I am sorry, but to say the goal is never to end up with the asset is just plain daft,like saying black is white, i wont post anymore on this, as i end up being rude and then cranfield blocks my posts. All the best to you sir. :good:

id rather clean latrines, than have all that debt and negative equity, plus tenant aggro for a minimal return and no end asset, I am sorry, but to say the goal is never to end up with the asset is just plain daft,like saying black is white, i wont post anymore on this, as i end up being rude and then cranfield blocks my posts. All the best to you sir. :good:

£80,000 a year is a minimal return

Now I've heard everything

:lol::lol::lol:

edited to say I think you have missed the point mate :lol:

Edited by harrycatcat1