any reccomendations for ear defenders?

kiffy

hi folks, im starting to enjoy and doing more clay shooting and joined a small club today thats recently started just a mile from my home. i have been using those cheap disposable ear plugs that work but are a pain in the backside so im after some ear defenders...

i think id prefer the ear defenders compared to the in ear ones and really fancy electronic so i can hear people talkig while wearing them so wondered if anyone has any reccomendations for a decent quality reliable pair for the smallest amount i can get away with spending, dont get me wrong even though im tight... i am happy paying more for quality.. but theres so many around i thought id ask the question on here first

thanks

steve

I use the Silverline electronic ones that you can get for around £17 on Amazon. I've had mine for a year and a half so far and no problem at all, a couple of club members also use them and have no issues. I use mine for rifle and shotgun, they cut out the bang well and you can easily hold a normal conversation and even hear what people are saying at the other end of the range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-659862-Electronic-Ear-Defender/dp/B000QHF97G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370800733&sr=8-3&keywords=electronic+ear+defenders

. You can also switch the amp' off, so that you won't hear the laughter in the background when you miss the clays! :lol:

believe me i need that... only done clays three times so far so im VERY much a newbie and am only hitting half (ish) of what i shoot at :blush:

Edited by kiffy

aye, and by the time you pay import tax and duty you won,t have saved nowt. plus if they **** up you need to send them back (more cost) buy local and support your gun shop other wise they go bust!

thanks for the reccomendations guys, looks like the howards are the way to go :good:

billytheghilliem i love buying local when i can especially when i have such a good local gun shop (south & west country sports) but its still 20 miles away and as a non driver i have to rely on others which i obviously dont like doing... not just that it financially isnt always possible. now i know theres a uk seller who isnt a fortune more than the us sellers i will buy uk as ive been stung several times over the years buying overseas.

I've had a pair of MSA Sordin's for 3 or 4 years. Really good sound quality. I know they are 4 times the prices of those Howards and I can't comment on them as I've never tried them. Other people I have spoke to have often regarded the MSA's highly.

Can you have try any at the clay ground? Ether the clubs or other shooters and decide which are the best for you.

Comfort, fit, sound quality, sound reduction/speed etc.

I have Deben slimline, I have only had these electronic ear defenders so I can't compare them to others but they are lightweight, comfortable as in I can wear them all day, the batteries last 300 hours, they are slimline so don't even touch the stock, the volume if you turn it right up actually amplifies your normal hearing. I think I paid 87 quid for mine last year.