Realistic Zeiss Duralyt Alternatives

Gregthegreat

Yes - a good second hand Zeiss 3-12x50 Duralyt & it just so happens I have 1 to sell !! it was new last Sept, comes boxed with all the bits it had when new - yours for £475 delivered RMSD

Tempting! With the lifetime warranty I don't think it's worth buying Zeiss new to be fair.

+1 for the meopta...very good value for the money.

Do they compare equally with light transmission though? It's the reason I would be buying a Zeiss.

Thanks gents,

Greg.

Sure is

Very tempting but I think it would be too much for me on a foxing rifle. The Duralyt appeals for the mag range also. A 12 or 14 mag is perfect for fox out to shootable night time ranges without going overboard.

It sounds great on an HMR though. I've got a 6.5-20 Whitetail Classic on mine which does the job perfectly.

Thanks for the thought though.

Greg.

Ballistic turrets and parallax adjustment for the price of a plain Duralyt is kind of asking the impossible in European scopes. Duralyts can offer excellent clarity and light gathering for the price precisely because the rest of the scope is basic. You want bells and whistles for the price of a base model. Meopta have what you're after but the price starts to climb. They're still very well priced compared with the other big names though.

Have a good look at the spec on Marchwood's site. SGC are unlikely to have the full range on show.

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/products.asp?catID=499

Edited by Gimlet

Very tempting but I think it would be too much for me on a foxing rifle. The Duralyt appeals for the mag range also. A 12 or 14 mag is perfect for fox out to shootable night time ranges without going overboard.

It sounds great on an HMR though. I've got a 6.5-20 Whitetail Classic on mine which does the job perfectly.

Thanks for the thought though.

Greg.

No problem you might be surprised though with good glass how much mag you end up using at last light because you can.

Personally I'd struggle to buy any new scope and would always go 2nd hand European rather than new, have a look on the stalking directory for decent scopes there is a trade seller on there with some good priced duralyts or dodeer on here certainly had a meopta in that mag range advertised last week having bought a couple of scopes from him they were both very good scopes

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 comes with target turrets and side parralax like you wanted! and in second focal plane their around £500! awesome optics ive got the FFP one on my .17 hmr, had a zeiss diavari 2.5-10x50 FFP on it before. and optical clarity and low light the Vortex blows it out of the water!

Thanks for the input gents. Initial thoughts on anything none European is that it won't compare in low light, which is the reason that I would be purchasing it.

No problem you might be surprised though with good glass how much mag you end up using at last light because you can.

Personally I'd struggle to buy any new scope and would always go 2nd hand European rather than new, have a look on the stalking directory for decent scopes there is a trade seller on there with some good priced duralyts or dodeer on here certainly had a meopta in that mag range advertised last week having bought a couple of scopes from him they were both very good scopes

Thanks al4x, will do.

Ballistic turrets and parallax adjustment for the price of a plain Duralyt is kind of asking the impossible in European scopes. Duralyts can offer excellent clarity and light gathering for the price precisely because the rest of the scope is basic. You want bells and whistles for the price of a base model. Meopta have what you're after but the price starts to climb. They're still very well priced compared with the other big names though.

Have a good look at the spec on Marchwood's site. SGC are unlikely to have the full range on show.

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/products.asp?catID=499

Will do. My concern is Meopta not being up to the capabilities in low light.

Greg.

Will do. My concern is Meopta not being up to the capabilities in low light.

Greg.

I have a Duralyt and a Meopta R1. I can assure you the Meopta will definitely cut it in low light next to the Zeiss. There is little difference in price though. But you can have finer MOA turret increments with the Meopta than you get with the mill rad Duralyt.

I have a Duralyt and a Meopta R1. I can assure you the Meopta will definitely cut it in low light next to the Zeiss. There is little difference in price though. But you can have finer MOA turret increments with the Meopta than you get with the mill rad Duralyt.

Thanks Gimlet. I'll keep my eye out for both.