Speeding again!

AdamW

Anyone had any experience of being banned for speeding in France?

I was done the other week and fined on the spot (75 euros) and had my driving licence taken away!

I was also told that I was banned from driver from that moment until between 1 and 6 months!

It's been a couple of weeks now and I havent heard back from them, and I'm due back in France at the end of the month, in which time if I have a one month ban it would be up? But I have no idea what I have been given!

Anyone else had this?

Adam

Were you on the toll motorway or on the side roads?. As I drive a long way in the motorways and this year I was talking to a guy and they stopped him at the pay booth and checked his ticket and said he must have been speeding to cover the distance. I usually set the cruise control to the maximum speed.

Its interesting to see sports cars lying up on the road side half a mile before the tolls in France, more than likely they're trying to clock up a few minutes 0mph.

It was on an A type road, 110 kph that dropped to a 90kph zone that I didn't see (no, really I didn't see it officer!)

Took me to the cash point and took licence saying I would get it back along with the notification of the ban!

But I have read that you never hear from them again!

How on earth can French authorities legally take away a British licence?

As far as I'm aware we Brits appear powerless to take any action against all the foreign drivers that break our laws, another are where we need to grow a spine.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about but many years ago did spend six years living in and driving around Europe.

I don't think they can legally take your licence away unless you give it to them just because they asked for it. I'll wager that you don't hear from them again but having all the hastle of now having to replace the "lost" licence and the possibility of having to explain how come, will be a major incentive not to speed in France again.

Since I discovered Rioja, my only reason for having anything to do with that country has ceased to exist. However, I do have a high regard for some of their antics and this sounds like another good 'un.

Your final words are absolutely spot on, Chris. :stupid:

Is it an offence to not carry your licence in France? Could you not have blagged them and said you'd left it in Blighty?

If you give them, under duress, your photo licence you've still got your paper licence which I believe is the legal half as it lists all British endorsements and classes of vehicles that you're entitled to drive.

We Brits do need to adopt the "driven to the cash point" instant fine for foreign drivers before they go home waving two fingers at us.

The licence is not the problem, it's the lack of info on the ban! I am back there in a couple of weeks, but don't know if I'm still banned or not!

Not much detail on the paper work to help! And have no idea who I could call in France to find out!

hi if you have a paper licence copy it and keep them in your car then if needed and give them that and ask for a full receipt for the money and documents also take there details,make them do the paper work .also turn of your sat nav off as you mite be accused of trying to avoid speed camera cheers mick

Were you issued with a paper ticket with the fine explained and the details of the officers? if not than I suspect that a couple of Gendarmes had a good night out at your expense and your driving licence is now at the bottom of a shredder basket in a French police station.

"Ha ha Piere, this Roast-Bif idiot has surrendered his driving licence to us not knowing we cannot prosecute non French citizens and has given us €200. He doesn't know who we are or where we work to make a complaint anyway, he'll never see us again! C'est un imbecile! To top it off he is sat at home thinking he is banned from driving in France for 6 months so that gives us at least a few months distance between us and him."

"Ah he haw, Jean Claude. What a wheeze. Lets do another one before the weekend, I am taking my mistress out and want to treat her to something nice."

" Qui Piere, I too am entertaining my mistress and wish it to be at the expense of the Anglais."

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

http://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/Traffic-Police

Were you issued with a paper ticket with the fine explained and the details of the officers? if not than I suspect that a couple of Gendarmes had a good night out at your expense and your driving licence is now at the bottom of a shredder basket in a French police station.

"Ha ha Piere, this Roast-Bif idiot has surrendered his driving licence to us not knowing we cannot prosecute non French citizens and has given us €200. He doesn't know who we are or where we work to make a complaint anyway, he'll never see us again! C'est un imbecile! To top it off he is sat at home thinking he is banned from driving in France for 6 months so that gives us at least a few months distance between us and him.

The licence is not the problem, it's the lack of info on the ban! I am back there in a couple of weeks, but don't know if I'm still banned or not!

Not much detail on the paper work to help! And have no idea who I could call in France to find out!

Change your name to Arthur Wellington and the slate is wiped clean....sort of. :whistling: