training my beagle

ganda100

I am attempting to train my dog to hunt rabbits and rats he is about 4 years old so could be too late for this. He has only ever gone after one rabbit and he appears to have it in him but when I point at them he doesn't understand and just looks at me. Any help will be appreciated.

Any beagle should be going mental to hunt anything.

Take him to a place you have permission to be on thats lifting with rabbits and encourage him when he puts one up.

Your not going to get far though, Hes a scent hound, bred to hunt hares for as long as it takes. one beagle wont put a dent in a rabbit population, might offer some sport though.

Buy a whippet or a terrier

I take it u can stop him if he ever get's on a scent? I would be more worried about stopping/recall.

Wot do u mean hunting? Flushing to a shotgun or more traditional hare type hunting. Problem is most rabbits will head for safety of burrows pretty quickly so not really giving a dog a chance to hunt, prob same with rats. Think Daveo is right be better with a whippet or terrier

From wot i have heard about beagles think spanj could be right too. Could be hard work

First of all well done for owning a Beagle, as others have said training is not easy as they are a pack animal...granted good at tracking hare or rabbit and are very clever but can't see the use for one if out shooting. Best to keep it as a pet, I had a cat that would bring in small rabbit....evil thing it was and would have been better than your beagle.

I have a beagle called Colin. I often walk on my permission as I live on it. He often puts up rabbits and gives a little chase. He would have no idea what to do with it if he ever caught one. We lived in a city until recently and now live in the country