Flies on pigeons

jayDT10

Alright all, I'm not a great fan of shooting pigeons in mid summer due to the flies and the rate the meat can turn in the heat , but I have to do it as we all know pigeons feed all year and need to be be controlled all year. Apart from a cool box i was just wondering what other people done to stop the flies getting at the pigeons .

Same as Karpman - Wet hessian sack kept in shade. I just fold over the top to stop flies getting in.

I still use pigeons shot that day as decoys in summer and they get fly eggs but not a problem if you debreast them the same day as the flies are not in contact with the meat. Any going in the freezer for the game merchant go straight in the wet hessian sack.

brickies hessian. the roll of stuff the brickies use to stop the frost getting into fresh lay bricks.

i cut 20 foot lengths, put birds on the first laid out piece and then a layer on top with water over it. the other lengths i use on harvest as a hide in the middle of the field.

carp sacks are to small and if birds are thrown in they will hold the heat in. same with the freezer bags, to small. i take 5 builders trogs to carry birds off the field. you get 35 to a bucket.

Edited by activeviii

brickies hessian. the roll of stuff the brickies use to stop the frost getting into fresh lay bricks.

i cut 20 foot lengths, put birds on the first laid out piece and then a layer on top with water over it. the other lengths i use on harvest as a hide in the middle of the field.

carp sacks are to small and if birds are thrown in they will hold the heat in. same with the freezer bags, to small. i take 5 builders trogs to carry birds off the field. you get 35 to a bucket.

I can get a good 60-70 birds in the carp sacks I use , I take two so they are enough for up to 140 , they pack down to nothing .and are light.

Edited by fenboy

I can get a good 60-70 birds in the carp sacks I use , I take two so they are enough for up to 140 , they pack down to nothing .and are light.

Yes you can get a quantity of birds in the carp sack but, as i said, you throw the birds in so there on top of each other, their feathers are great insulators so the heat stays in the bird, when you stack then in the carp sack the heat builds up and the bird turn green.

i lay all my birds out in singles so i can get the heat out of the carcass a quick as posable, then when home they go in the chiller until the heats all out then into the freezers if im not doing a game dealer run.

one reason i will not eat wild game that others have shot, you never know how its been handled lol.

I also use the very large carp sacks (dampened) for storing the pigeons in the hide, but if I have to transport them a distance to my vehicle, I put the carp sacks (and birds) in large onion sacks which are strong enough to take the weight over the distance (it also makes the carp sacks last longer).