shotgun lisence

srrb

Yup, as said above, FLO (firearms licencing officer) will be happy if you can demonstrate you know what you are talking about.

Ithink your best bet would be to join a clay shooting club, (if you have an interest in this) and show the FLO you are taking part in shooting in a controlled safe enviroment and have learnt the safety steps.

15 may be considered young by some, but I know a couple of even younger people then this, that I would gladly put the shotgun certificate papers right in their hands myself.

Its really all about showing that you are trustable with a shotgun, and you have good intentions of sproting use.

A few pointers

Firstly i was NEVER asked about gun safety durin my interview i was INFORMED! I was talked through some basic safety aspects and tips for storage and the safe use of weapons but was NEVER asked to demonstrate ANY knowledge of gun handling :)

I think the short talk was more to cover their backs and to see if you are taking a GENUINE interest in what they are trying to tell you.

Of course IF you show you know the in's and out's of gun safety etc it WILL stand you in good stead but it's NOT an exam it's an interview.

Secondly i was ASKED by my FLO if i wanted a Cert for my 10 year old Son while i was at it :good:

I think common sense is more what they are looking for so knuckle dragging chavs wearing backward baseball caps and talking like Aliens MAY have a tad of difficulty in obtaining a Cert.

Just take a look into the do's and dont's and of course a trip to a Clay Shooting ground will be most adventageous more so if you join and go regular for a few lessons

Of course as you can't BUY a shotgun at your age one of your PARENTS will need to also apply for a licence as they will have to BUY the gun and ammunition for you to use. :lol:

Don't sweat it about the FLO he is human the same as you and me and they don't bite.

LG

your parents will have to sign it too, even if u have your own house to bolt the safe too :lol: until ur 18 of course :)

Greg :/

*cough* 17 *cough*

i actually got mine at the ripe old age of 18! so they didnt have a say! dont think they would have minded anyway :good: i think if you tell them all the right things (truth obviously!) shooting experience and safe gun handling etc, my interview went really well and got my ticket a week later :lol: they cant turn you down because of your age but will probably want to hear your exact intentions.

Greg

your parents will have to sign it too, even if u have your own house to bolt the safe too :lol: until ur 18 of course :)

Greg :/

*cough* 17 *cough*

i actually got mine at the ripe old age of 18! so they didnt have a say! dont think they would have minded anyway :good: i think if you tell them all the right things (truth obviously!) shooting experience and safe gun handling etc, my interview went really well and got my ticket a week later :lol: they cant turn you down because of your age but will probably want to hear your exact intentions.

Greg

I think Hunter meant that when you are 17 you can do everything an adult can do with shotguns or firearms

Right i have noticed on a few posts some people can him the........FLO firearms licencing officer.

other call him the FEO firearms & explosive officer which one is correct or doesnt it matter. :lol::lol::good::)

My 'FEO' gave me his business card. On it it states his job title as Firearms Enquiries Officer. I'm in Essex, if that matters, wonder if it changes from county to county?

ok thanks guys.Do you know what kinda things i can do with a shotgun certificate at 15. i.e if i can shoot by myself?

You have to be 17 to go out on your own...

copied from my local authorities website

Young People & Firearms

Firearms laws are different for young people, it's important you know exactly what they are.

Under 15-years-old

It is an offence to make a gift of a shotgun or ammunition to children under 15-years-old (14-years-old for airguns).

Children under 15-years (14-years for standard airguns) may not have an assembled shotgun with them except:

* With a valid shotgun certificate, they may use a shotgun under the direction and supervision of someone 21 or over

* When they are using an airgun under the direct supervision of someone aged 21 or over

* When the shotgun is in a securely fastened gun cover so that it cannot be fired

Aged 15-17-years-old

A person between 15 and 17-years-old (14 and 17 for airguns) may be given or lent a shotgun with ammunition but may not buy them.

Aged 17-years or over

A person of 17-years or above may purchase an airgun and ammunition, or a shotgun and ammunition with a valid shotgun certificate.

A shotgun certificate is required at any age unless:

* Shooting with the occupier on their private land and using the landowners gun in their presence

* Shooting at a police approved clay shoot

There is no minimum age for the issue of a shotgun certificate. A shotgun certificate will be granted unless the applicant:

* Is prohibited from possessing a gun under the Firearms Acts

* Is a danger to the public safety or to the peace

* Does not have good reason for possessing, purchasing or acquiring a weapon. Use for sporting competition or pest control both constitute 'good reason'

Any queries you may have regarding the information detailed above or about the Licensing process can be directed to a members of the Firearms Licensing team on: