12G Cartridge with the longest brass

Guest cookoff013

i stick to the low brass.

its just a status thing, its about the only thing that can be done to "bling" a cartridge.

with the modern econamised hulls of today, they are only designed to survive a first loading and a first firing.

i have only just seen and touched a winchester AA CF hull and the plastic is denser, thicker and better.

I thought that the ribbed sides of the plastic cartridge were there to reduce the area that is actually in contact with the chamber after it has been fired. The cart is designed to expand a tad then retract a little, with the aim of reducing friction so the ejectors can spit them out nicely !! I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with low brass carts. I imagine that high brass carts might expand when fired and become tight in the chambers. I aint no expert though sir, just a theory.

Try slapping some KY Jelly or Vasaline on your carts.....that should help then slide in and out easy. arf arf

I thought that the ribbed sides of the plastic cartridge were there to reduce the area that is actually in contact with the chamber after it has been fired. The cart is designed to expand a tad then retract a little, with the aim of reducing friction so the ejectors can spit them out nicely !! I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with low brass carts. I imagine that high brass carts might expand when fired and become tight in the chambers. I aint no expert though sir, just a theory.

Try slapping some KY Jelly or Vasaline on your carts.....that should help then slide in and out easy. arf arf

Yeah, thats what I was thinking in regards to the ribbed sides reducing surface area. However, I've read, on here somewhere I think, that the plastic they use nowadays is much cheaper and of poorer quality than it once was. This then leads to small amounts of plastic building up on the inside of the chambers and when it reaches a certain stage the plastic from the cartridge begins to stick to the plastic that has built up in the chambers.

My idea for the long brass was to hopefully reduce the area of plastic that could bind to any that was already in the chambers. I also included in my experiment cartridges that I sprayed with gun oil to see if that would make a difference. In the end it turns out that the gun just needed a good clean to remove the plastic that had built up in the chambers as my 20 control cartridges all ejected no problem. So now after every use when I clean the gun I spend some time focused on the chambers to remove anything that may have built up.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

I have a problem with my gun and I reckon it's the cartridges sticking in the chambers so the extractors can't move and the gun won't open.

Im planning on doing an experiment with different types of cartridges to see what effects they have on the chambers. The chambers themselves are totally spotless but apparently it's a problem old Brownings have.

Cheers mate, will check them out.

It could be nothing to do with the cartridges and it might be that there is a problem with the firing pins not retracting. Check the primers on fired cartridges to see if there are any skid gouge lines on the primes where the gun has opened. There should only be the striker indents in the primers

It could be nothing to do with the cartridges and it might be that there is a problem with the firing pins not retracting. Check the primers on fired cartridges to see if there are any skid gouge lines on the primes where the gun has opened. There should only be the striker indents in the primers

That was an issue a while back but sorted now. As I mentioned above, I reckon it was down to me being a idiot and not cleaning the chambers properly.

I've got one or two guns and have shot for a long time ad I've never had or heard of a situation of guns not opening because of a dirty chamber. Some people I know of really abuse their guns and never clean their guns at all and I’ve seen them plastered in mud and even rusty. If you’ve had striker problems then go and look there first.

I've got one or two guns and have shot for a long time ad I've never had or heard of a situation of guns not opening because of a dirty chamber. Some people I know of really abuse their guns and never clean their guns at all and I’ve seen them plastered in mud and even rusty. If you’ve had striker problems then go and look there first.

Neither had I, but the browning I use has chrome lined barrels but not chambers, could that add to the problem?

TAKE ALL SAFETY MEASURES.

Nahh.

Can’t see it happening. Break it down into the basics. Check out the primer first for skids first then take a fired case and cut it down short. Make sure it enters the chamber easily and then do a dry fire on the case. Then open gun. If there is a fault remove ejectors and springs, general inspection and clean. Reassemble and retest.

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, TAKE TO COMPETANT PERSON

TAKE ALL SAFETY MEASURES.

It all depends on how much money you've got. Most places will tell you that it would be wise for it to have a good clean up and a service. probably new parts also. If you really think that it's dirty chambers then all that youv'e got to do is clean them out.