BT Infinty at last

deputy dog

Living in the South Wales Valleys technology, well new technology seems to take ages getting to us up here. But at last after a year or two wait Fiber Broad Band has landed in the area from BT Infinity.

We have been with Talk Talk for a few years surviving on 1 to 3mbs with more often then not, iffy slow and sometimes none existant connection.

So i can happily say that having upto 76mbs a second and a minimum of 56 mbs connect speed, it will be like lightening compared to what we had before and at a very reasonable price per month as well.

Got the engineer coming in today to install it all, though he did say it may take a few days to settle in and get upto its highest speed. But when you been waiting a year or two to get into the 21 century techno wise, whats a few extra days, just happy to be modernised at last hahahaha.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

The speed you currently have (until later today) is about the same as half rural Cheshire and no doubt other areas. One thing that MIGHT help the economy is a bit of cash from the government to kick start rural industries based on NT by investing in SFBB.

Perhaps the Welsh have come to the before the rest of the brits ?

Enjoy it my friend! Here in the not so deepest, darkest Hertfordshire we're lucky to scrape 2mbs. It stifles the rural economy and makes rural business uncompetitive with those based in towns and cities.

I heard a discussion on radio 4 yesterday that stated that the majority of the paltry 3 million allocated to fibre logic rollout hadn't been spent.

Time to take the monopoly away from BT I think and allow other, smaller and keener telecoms providers to have a bite at the rollout cherry.

We have been surviving on between 1 and 3 with an average of 1.5 mostly. Very iffy some times none existant connection for hours or days at a time over last few years.

So i was beaming when the e mail i had off BT saying i could now get Fiber Broad Band in my area. I signed straight away with them for £23 a month for the 76 meg package. But been told i will mostly get around 56 meg by time it gets to me from exchange which is about half a kilometer away from me.

I thought i could most defo live with that, as it would be like light speed concidering what im used to.

So the engineer is coming between 1 an 6 pm and by the evening i should be enjoying about 20meg till it sttles down an speeds up. Though 20 meg is light years better then 1 an 3 meg speeds.

Hope they get to you soon so you can enjoy super fast broadband.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

I have just renewed my BB with BT and it's a pound dearer than if we had Infinity - We get 6.9mb but what really pee's me off is paltry 0.038mb upload - I would happily trade off 2mb down for 1mb up.

We are not even on cards for fibre and I can spit at Exchange from here .

Dave

2 meg here and not even all that rural, I live in a village but its rather large surrounded by other good size villages.

No sign of infity coming in the near future if ever.

Ridiculous in this day and age if you ask me.

Karpman

I was shocked that we have had it over our way mate. Like i said in first post, we are near enough always the last to have anything technology wise in the valleys. But with all these governemnt regeneration schemes going on in the South Wales Valleys over last couple of years, it does look like we are finally benifiting from it at last.

But in this day an age of technology every body should be having these kinds of services as standard. Compared to other European countries we are a third world nation where the internet is concerned. Infact there places in developing countries that are all ready leagues in front ofus technology wise. Sad but true fact which only this weak minded government can rectify for the better of all.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

Lucky man. I live nine miles from a sleep town called Cambridge, but can barely scrape 3 Mb download. Our village is at the extreme end of what broadband can reach and is owned fully by BT. Alas, the area served by the exchange is too small for them to put fibre in, so we are stuck in the middle ages for broadband (well, the year 2000).

You're all going well, half a meg at home max!

One advantage - it stops me sitting working all night and makes sure I switch off occasionally!

No chance of streaming movies, online gaming, video chat or all the things I should be able to do. I keep it as no phone signal at home either so only way to communicate is slow broadband and whatsapp

Lucky man. I live nine miles from a sleep town called Cambridge, but can barely scrape 3 Mb download. Our village is at the extreme end of what broadband can reach and is owned fully by BT. Alas, the area served by the exchange is too small for them to put fibre in, so we are stuck in the middle ages for broadband (well, the year 2000).

2 miles from central Stevenage (I'd hasten to add not in Stevenage though :whistling: ) and we are on 2 meg at best with no sign of Infinity

Had the Infinity installed this afternoon and its amazingly fast fair play. Been told i may get fluctuations over the course of the next 10 days, but i'm averaging about 38 megs at

the moment using the ether net wire, and 25meg using the wifi and even at those speeds, its very very fast, but will get faster as i beds in.

All i can say lads is its got to be gutting for you as, your defo missing out by not being able to get this fiber broadband, its the dogs b's no doubt about it.

off to buy a new modern stack system tomorrow with the mod cons on it, so every thing will be upto date an more efficient when in use.

Like a kid with a new toy if im honest.

DD

man that's pee poor! i was talking with a Lithuanian a couple of days ago, she reckons they have 50meg minimum back home

i will be having faster connection, but it in creases in speed as it beds in. soon i should be upto about 76ish meg with the minimum of 56 meg during off an on peak

conditions. And afte having being used to 1 and 3 megs, 38meg at the mo is like lightening to me. But where technology is concerned, we are a backward country

compared with other European states, i must agree.

DD

i will be having faster connection, but it in creases in speed as it beds in. soon i should be upto about 76ish meg with the minimum of 56 meg during off an on peak

conditions. And afte having being used to 1 and 3 megs, 38meg at the mo is like lightening to me. But where technology is concerned, we are a backward country

compared with other European states, i must agree.

DD

sorry DD, i was only commenting on the other posters getting 2 meg :lol: you posted as i was typing :good:

sorry DD, i was only commenting on the other posters getting 2 meg :lol: you posted as i was typing :good:

NO worries mate, 2meg is pants i know, been used to it for a couple of years now. But this speed now is simply amazing, all my gadets are working flat out with out

hitch at at last, Ipad, phone an laptop all running flawless, where before i had to disconnect one to use another as the connection was so slow.

Massive thumbs up from me mate :good: :good: :good:

DD

NO worries mate, 2meg is pants i know, been used to it for a couple of years now. But this speed now is simply amazing, all my gadets are working flat out with out

hitch at at last, Ipad, phone an laptop all running flawless, where before i had to disconnect one to use another as the connection was so slow.

Massive thumbs up from me mate :good: :good: :good:

DD

WOW. Optic Fibre Cable in your town, and you've only recently had electricity and running water installed! :lol::P

WOW. Optic Fibre Cable in your town, and you've only recently had electricity and running water installed! :lol::P

I know Steve we is getting proper modern up here now.

Next upgrade to complete every thing is replace the horse an cart for cars and tom tom drums for phones. And we'l be at least upto 1950s standards hahaha.

You got houses down there in the Rhondda yet or still living in caves hahahaha.

DD