is this a fox den?

kiffy

hey folks... a local farmer has had issues for 3 or 4 months with fox taking his chickens and ducks from the farm yard, ive been around the farm a couple of times and today found these holes. ive never seen a fox den before so thought id ask if these are fox dens?

i know they are fairly new as two months ago they where not there as i was under the same tree decoying crows.. holes are about 10-12 inch round two main holes about 3 foot apart and a third slightly smaller hole about 5 feet away (left corner of first picture)

post-58889-0-67051500-1375545015_thumb.jpg

post-58889-0-16680100-1375545018_thumb.jpg

hard to say definitely as we have several badger setts on farm and some holes are small with no bedding ect outside I have trail camera footage of such hole in use but from pic diffuclt to tell op states 10-12 inches maywell be somethings been digging for roots ect and hole doesn't go deep

Edited by remmy1100

the middle hole does look like it goes back a way then bears right so i dont know how deep it goes sas i cant see around the bend. i am going to pop back up there either later tonight or tomorrow night and see if anythings around.. will also take a better gun as i only had an old side by side with me that i took up to check if all was ok as ive done so much work on it.. and because i was only there to test the gun i had small carts on me.. ill have my pump and 50gramm bb next trip :)

Check for pad marks first and foremost then stick your head inside and see if you can see signs of any hair that as snagged on roots or stones. Then have a good sniff. Usually if it's a stripey one then the entrance will be slick smooth where they drag their slug like bodies and slide inside but not always the case

Because I'm bored and to keep the thread alive.........................

I wish people would use the correct term, it's an Earth not a Den. A Den is a room in an American house or where bears live and raise their cubs. Foxes live in an earth.

HAHA You tell them Charlie... And it's set for badger,warren for rabbit!

Edited by channa

Because I'm bored and to keep the thread alive.........................

I wish people would use the correct term, it's an Earth not a Den. A Den is a room in an American house or where bears live and raise their cubs. Foxes live in an earth.

Being fair to the guy it can be different in various locations, I have a bad habit of switching about my terms due to traveling a lot previously (normally using the wrong one for the area I am in).

Being fair to the guy it can be different in various locations, I have a bad habit of switching about my terms due to traveling a lot previously (normally using the wrong one for the area I am in).

How right you are.

Here we call antlers "horns", you can imagine the looks and comments I get when speaking to Jonny Foreigners from up country who think me a dimwit.