Wheat-free diet

junctiontwo

According to the scales I'm overweight............I'm 6' 1" and 14st 7lbs............36 waist and 44 chest.

We had a 2-day sales conference last week and on the first night a BBQ in a pub. Really good night and chatted with the office staff who I don't see much (I'm a rep on the road). One of the girls has lost a decent amount of weight and said she's on a wheat-free diet, which didn't sound too appealing. She sent me a link which made for VERY interesting reading.

I had no idea how toxic wheat is and what it can do/does to the body. Have a Google and see! Long story short, I started on Saturday a.m and since then I've lost 4lbs, am nowhere near as tired after a b*tch of a day and the best bit is my high blood pressure has started to drop already. This cannot be a coincidence.

I'm now 14st 3lbs and my actually had to wear a belt on a pair of 34 trousers yesterday! I am however still 6' 1".

Have a look guys, it's quite an eye-opener......

Wheat isn't bad to most people, but some have less tollerance than others and the effects are different for everyone. For me, i retain water and bloat up when i have a lot of wheat. My wife and i did a detox diet which cut out (among other things) wheat. That was one of the restrictions that we kept out after the detox was over. We keep the amount of wheat down to a minimum. Same thing with potatoes to a lesser extent. Alcohol is just as bad so we minimize that. I dropped 3 stone in 9 months and kept most of it off I am down to 13s3lb and i am only 5'9". My body fat is down in the high teens also, which was a big drop from nearly 30%.

You can get gluten free beer. Basically avoid all gluten. Some people avoid all grains. If you want to follow something specific, you can check out "paleo" diets. Google "Mark Sisson" for some further reading.

Edited by aris

Where is the link to the diet then? Generally i avoid wheat, it doesn't agree with me. But i also avoid high carbs, potatoes etc.

Beer is my weakness though, the best incarnation of both wheat and carb!

The link is more of an info one rather than specifically about a diet, although I've found loads of sites with recipes.

http://io9.com/5968164/why-you-should-probably-stop-eating-wheat

Been gluten free since last November after years of pizza, ready meals and basically junk food. It was very difficult for the first two weeks, but now I don't think twice about bread, biscuits, etc.

Since quitting I no longer get acid reflux, hardly any headaches (used to be near daily) and have more energy. I switched over to having more meat and fruit and veg and feel loads better. :)

I have a yeast intolerance, which is as common as a wheat intolerance. I had a test because I thought I was wheat intolerant. So mushrooms and wine are a big no no, bread just bloats me anyway as it bloats most people. clean eating vegetables fruit meat and fish is the best way, then you know exactly what you are eating.

I try to follow a Paleo type diet. When I say "try" I have a non carb breakfast (almonds/walnuts with Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey) no mid morning snack, a protein loaded lunch (omelette with cheese or meat), maybe a square of dark chocolate at 3pm, a very low carb dinner but hit the biscuits (7 digestives) in the evening. Still I keep the weight off :-)

I've lost 5kgs this way. After eating a lot of pasta, rice and bread and eating low fat I couldn't shift the podge. I chanced across Dr Briffa's "Waist Management" which turned my thinking on its head. Wheat amongst other things is one of the main culprits in weight gain, not fat. Fat isn't fattening. So instead of having Pasta with Bolognese sauce I will substitute the pasta with a vegetable. I avoid rice with a curry and have a lentil dahl. Interesting that the Government's health department encourages us to eat lot pastas, rice and other carbs at the expense of fat.....

If you get the chance check out www.drbriffa.com or Mark Sisson's www.marksdailyapple.com

Edited by Laird Lugton

I try to follow a Paleo type diet. When I say "try" I have a non carb breakfast (almonds/walnuts with Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey) no mid morning snack, a protein loaded lunch (omelette with cheese or meat), maybe a square of dark chocolate at 3pm, a very low carb dinner but hit the biscuits (7 digestives) in the evening. Still I keep the weight off :-)

I've lost 5kgs this way. After eating a lot of pasta, rice and bread and eating low fat I couldn't shift the podge. I chanced across Dr Briffa's "Waist Management" which turned my thinking on its head. Wheat amongst other things is one of the main culprits in weight gain, not fat. Fat isn't fattening. So instead of having Pasta with Bolognese sauce I will substitute the pasta with a vegetable. I avoid rice with a curry and have a lentil dahl. Interesting that the Government's health department encourages us to eat lot pastas, rice and other carbs at the expense of fat.....

If you get the chance check out www.drbriffa.com or Mark Sisson's www.marksdailyapple.com

As a confirmed carnivore, with the yang of that being I'm not a huge veg fan, that sounds like Hell on earth!

Bolognese without pasta, curry without rice or a naan bread (I have one or the other), I could live with your daily diet although your lunch is impractical for anyone on the move all day, but the evening meal I'd have to do small portions rather than cut it out. Its a main constituent of the meal. I guess I wouldn't lose any weight then, and to be honest...I'll keep my food baby and enjoy my meals.

This has been my problem with all diets/eating plans. The meals just aren't very tasty!

As a confirmed carnivore, with the yang of that being I'm not a huge veg fan, that sounds like Hell on earth!

Bolognese without pasta, curry without rice or a naan bread (I have one or the other), I could live with your daily diet although your lunch is impractical for anyone on the move all day, but the evening meal I'd have to do small portions rather than cut it out. Its a main constituent of the meal. I guess I wouldn't lose any weight then, and to be honest...I'll keep my food baby and enjoy my meals.

This has been my problem with all diets/eating plans. The meals just aren't very tasty!

I too am a huge carnivore fan and you can pretty much eat as much as you want. You can always treat yourself to Pasta or rice every now and again. In fact Dr Briffa recommends no refined carbs whilst trying to lose weight and then reintroducing small portions of them. I used to have a plate of rice with a dollop or two of chilli beef on top. The portion size here needed to be reversed.

• 2 weeks later...