Pup drops dummy on recall

Dead-Eyed Duck

Here's a very simple fault that I am looking for advice on.

I have a 4 month old cocker, and she's coming along really well, but....

When sent to retrieve she dashes out, picks up, and then gallops back. I have been rewarding her with a treat when she reaches me, but she has started to drop the dummy 3-5 yards away and then wants the treat.

Any recommendations?

As she cant eat the treat with the dummy in her mouth she is dropping it. I would get down to her level and encourage her back to you, and give her lots of fuss while she has the dummy in her mouth, but stop immediately if she drops it. This way, she will associate her reward with holding the dummy

Edited by ColinF

I had this issue very recently. Every time my pup knew I had a treat she would drop the dummy short and come for the treat. I replaced the treat with praise and she is just fine now.

I think the treat is more important than the dummy!

I am no expert but removing the treat worked for me. :)

Edited by BRNDL

Ditchman and colin are spot on.

Treats and retrieving are a big NO NO unless u really know wot ur doing and get the timing perfect, clicker type training, most folk don't (including myself0 and u end up with dog spitting it out to get the treat.

If the pup is really affectionate even lie on the ground and let her come back and climb over u all the time clapping and giving praise in a really soft/high voice

Walking away could well work to praising it as it follows u with the dummy. When u bend down to pick it bend at ur knees and keep back straight and go down to it's level, if u bend at waist it can seem to be overpowering/threating to the dog with this big shape coming into it's space

Treat retrieving can be achieved, but you must never reward a drop. I have never had need of it but saw a Cocker this year that was gathering all sorts of sundry items from the owners home and sitting at his feet holding for long periods of time awaiting its reward. Joking aside the owner was very well trained by the dog as I saw it bring used tissues from the bin, sweaty socks a till receipt and at least two pair of shoes. The owner claimed it was a previous non-retriever! If a dog associates correction with its last action it must surely do the same with reward, make sure and reward only when you remove the dummy NEVER EVER reward for a drop, to put it in simple terms you will train a dropper. Walk away, put the dummy back in its mouth, kick (the dummy) and repeat your fetch command BUT NEVER EVER reward a spit!