Rape stubble and dogs

fenboy

Perhaps I am too soft with my dogs and see them more as best friends than a working tool

In all the years I have had a dog I will not work them on rape stubble , in my eyes the risk of a serious injury is just too great , the stalks are like arrows when dried and I have shot a number of pigeon over the years that have ended up impaled on hitting the ground .

I dread to think what would happen if a dog ran into a stalk and it entered its eye etc , I will also not work a dog in standing barley for risk of eye damage .

So am I being too soft ? what are your thoughts are you happy to use your dogs on these crops ? have you seen any damage due to working such crops

I once used one of my cockers over rape stubble, she loved it charging around like only a cocker can, retrieve after retrieve I never even gave it a second thought took her home and she had her tea, next morning let her out for a wee as she rolled over in front of me the whole of her belly was covered in bright yellow pustules! The size of my thumb nails

Ever since then I have picked my own pigeons on the stubbles I can't see the point of putting a dog through that again if I can reach the birds, don't get me wrong I am not going to start getting on my hands and knees and start charging into the hedgerows while the dog sits by the fire:)

Years ago, when I was starting out, I read a book by John Marchington called the complete shot ( if I remember correctly!) In it were shootings "10 commandments."

One of those "commandments" was to put the safety of your dog before your own, & I have stuck to it ever since. None of my dogs have been picking up on rape stubble, it's not worth the risk, though I have been criticised several times for it.

As I see it, I aint soft, but alot of time, money, caring & effort have gone into those dogs & I like to think I have high welfare standards for them too.

I agree to a point with what some are saying. I would never use a cocker, springer or a young Lab on Rape.

However I use a steady lab, she dose not race out as she has just done so many pigeons.

she plods out and plods back, and I have never as much as found a splinter in her pads in all the years she has been doing her job.

so if you have a good steady lab, you can use it to retrieve on just about anything.

JMO