Holiday dates - priority for those with kids

ack-ack

Every holiday period I have to accept whatever dates are left available on the leave calender so that my work mates that have kids can spend time with their families. Consequently I end up having odd days here and there whilst they all clear out for upto three weeks at a time, only to come back to work beaming and wondering why I've got a face like a smacked whatsit.

Is this discrimination?

Does anybody else have to suck it up for the team?

Every holiday period I have to accept whatever dates are left available on the leave calender so that my work mates that have kids can spend time with their families. Consequently I end up having odd days here and there whilst they all clear out for upto three weeks at a time, only to come back to work beaming and wondering why I've got a face like a smacked whatsit.

Is this discrimination?

ack ack do you have to do this or are you just being nice thoughtful and considerate?

Is this discrimination?

ack-ack you don't have to accept this, you choose to accept it. Your company should treat everyone equal and they employ either Mother/Father not the family. It sounds from your post that you would rather not accept this, I'm sure if you took leave over someone with a family they would have something to say, if you can live with that without ruining your working relationship go for it.

ack ack do you have to do this or are you just being nice thoughtful and considerate?

When I started here last September I was told that the policy regarding taking leave was priority to parents. I didn't rock the boat at the time as I was made up to have landed the job. When I asked for a week off in mid August they suggested I had a week off in September instead. No use to me whatso ever. It doesn't help that my GF is a teacher and I wont get a chance to go away with her this summer. Its pants.

When I started here last September I was told that the policy regarding taking leave was priority to parents. I didn't rock the boat at the time as I was made up to have landed the job. When I asked for a week off in mid August they suggested I had a week off in September instead. No use to me whatso ever. It doesn't help that my GF is a teacher and I wont get a chance to go away with her this summer. Its pants.

why dont you have a kid then??

problem solved :lol::good:

Having read the above you seem to be in a difficult situation, as the policy sucks, have a word with the management and explain the situation with your GF, your relationship with her is as important, to you, as someone with a family.

Is this discrimination?

You have this a bit twisted Mr Ackne, it's because you have a face like a "smacked whatsit" that you have no wife and no kids so you have to take the pain. :lol:

Now think about this.... pain is having to pay through the nose for anything connected with holidays during school holiday times.... especially flights and hotels..... THIS IS PAIN :sad1:

ack-ack you don't have to accept this, you choose to accept it. Your company should treat everyone equal and they employ either Mother/Father not the family. It sounds from your post that you would rather not accept this, I'm sure if you took leave over someone with a family they would have something to say, if you can live with that without ruining your working relationship go for it.

There are only four of us in the organisation, two of whom I have to share an office with so I don't want to make it frosty but I'm not prepared to accept the current situation.

I've just pencilled myself in for a weeks leave over christmas. Yeah! Sticking it to the man!!

Being slightly more serious. Doesn't it need to just be fair and reasonable.... anyway, the kids holiday in the summer is 6 ish weeks so there must be space for compromise if they are taking 3 weeks in this time... surely you can have yours as well?

My self and the boss function in much the same capacity so one of us always has to be in. He's taken three rounds of thursdays and fridays and has next week off also which has effectively torpedoed August. I don't begrudge him his time off as he's a top chap and we get on like a house on fire but nobody puts baby in the corner. To top it of we only have three cupboard doors in our kitchen in the office. I reckon I'll need about seven for this one.

My self and the boss function in much the same capacity so one of us always has to be in. He's taken three rounds of thursdays and fridays and has next week off also which has effectively torpedoed August. I don't begrudge him his time off as he's a top chap and we get on like a house on fire but nobody puts baby in the corner. To top it of we only have three cupboard doors in our kitchen in the office. I reckon I'll need about seven for this one.

ack ack I have spare printers and a window if required

Tricky. Booking ahead is a good thing .... put up a holiday calender on the wall so they all show and it can be obvious to all if someone is taking the mickey.

This way if he want days you have already booked you will not be on the back foot... he will have to ask you to compromise.... vital if you are booking flights. Less critical if you are just popping over to the landrover dealership for more spares.

Keep a copy of previous years holiday for reference and explaining fairness.

So you did not bite on my jokes above - disappointing :/

I wish I could take my hols outside the blooming school holidays, but as my wife works school time and I dont believe in taking the kids out of school I have to suck up paying about a third more to go away that I would if I went in June or September!

Although with my team its first come first served although I do try and encourage people to spread about as much as possible over the summer hols.

Edited by Zetter

I sympathise with you Ack-Ack. For me the shoe is on the other foot. For 12 years I have taken leave outside the school holidays in order that those with kids get maximum chances of time with their kids. Now I am in the position of needing school holidays and I'll be lucky if I can get a week every two years with the kids as their are no rules about who can do what.

Allegedly my French colleagues are guaranteed by law two weeks every summer with their kids (if they want it) so guess who has to trot to France to cover for them.....

Personally I think those with kids should get some form of priority.

There are only four of us in the organisation, two of whom I have to share an office with so I don't want to make it frosty but I'm not prepared to accept the current situation.

I've just pencilled myself in for a weeks leave over christmas. Yeah! Sticking it to the man!!

Is this 'policy' written into a contract or is it simply a verbal recomendation? If its the latter just book the time off. Just remember it was their choice to have children.