Disced rape stubbles.

Cranfield

I am getting some good shooting this year on the disced rape stubbles, with pigeons and rooks/jackdaws.

Hardly any wheat has been harvested in my area and almost all the barley, pea and rape stubbles are disced in.

Obviously the birds choices are reduced until the wheat is cut, so its worth looking at the disced fields.

I too am new to pigeon shooting. I went up to my permission at 11am to find that the rape stubble had been disced. I thought about going straight home because there weren't any birds about but as I had made the effort to get there I decided to give it a go for an hour. I put out 12 decoys and within minutes the birds were coming in. I bagged 30 in two and a half hours! That's my biggest bag yet. Didn't expect much from the disced rape but I had a great couple of hours. I'll definitely be trying it again soon.

One of my permissions has disced all his rape stubble. Found about 500 pigeons on one field when out to reccy the neighbouring pea field. It was a beautiful sight with constant movement of birds coming in and out the field on a clear flight line. Went back the next day and they had all moved 2 fields down. Went the next day and they had moved on again...not seen them since. So I suggest if you see some action on disced stubble then get on quick as they seem to clear up and move on fast!

Getting more birds on the rape stubble that's been sub soiled than on the wheat stubble my perm , I was led to believe that the wheat stubble was there favourite ?

they much prefer rape stubbles as there is so much seed left behind , I had 73 on wheat stubble today but have not had many good bags on it really , normally there is not enough seed left to make numbers of birds build.

Getting more birds on the rape stubble that's been sub soiled than on the wheat stubble my perm , I was led to believe that the wheat stubble was there favourite ?

I had been finding more birds on sub-soiled or roughly disced stubbles than on a "virgin" stubble. My theory is that the chaff cutter on the combine can cover any lost seed with chaff, a bit of rough cultivation can uncover some seed again. Don't forget that pigeons can't/don't scratch like a blackbird can.

This year it seems to me that farmers are bailing more straw, so the above doesn't apply so widely. Is that why we are finding birds more widely (and therefore more thinly) spread, because more fields are more attractive??

Typical bird density round here is less than 1 bird per acre on the whole but most fields have a few pairs on. No build up worth mentioning and they soon move off when disturbed.

they much prefer rape stubbles as there is so much seed left behind , I had 73 on wheat stubble today but have not had many good bags on it really , normally there is not enough seed left to make numbers of birds build.

I've tried 3 times on our wheat stubble and virtually blanked everytime, its peculiar. I think they must still be on our standing rape.

I've tried 3 times on our wheat stubble and virtually blanked everytime, its peculiar. I think they must still be on our standing rape.

Yes as I said wheat stubble has never given me much shooting , the 73 I shot yesterday was just because their was a flightline over this particular field not because they were feeding on it , I have never seen big numbers of birds feeding on wheat stubble in these parts.