Mindless people

Barls2-9-12

Was very upset to hear that a local duck shooting syndicate shot a silly amount of duck and geese on the 1st and went back again in the evening to do the same. In my opinion this kind of shooting cannot keep going on. As it will have a major effect on wild duck and goose populations. (It has already started to, where I am)

It sickens me that so called sportsmen have the thirst to do such a thing, don’t they understand that this kind of shooting is unsustainable and will have a detrimental effect to wild bird populations, these are not reared duck they are doing it to.

Don’t get me wrong I know most of us have got carried away once or twice when out shooting but not to this extent. No wonder people want to ban shooting when you have mindless idiots carrying out such unsporting behaviour. These kinds of actions have a lasting effecting on all of us and create a bad impression on our sport. I know these are not true wildfowlers carrying out these actions, because the vast majority of us respect our sport and would never do such a thing. As we aim keep a healthy balance to enable us to provide future sport for generations to come.

I know it would be so hard to police, but BASC should try and put limits on the amount of wild Duck and Geese what can be shot on flight ponds as shooting of 100 Plus teal, wigeon on a pond between 2-3 guns on regular basis is not on, in my opinion. You wouldn’t go out stalking and shoot every deer you see just because you can would you. So why do it with wildfowl.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple enough, make the feeding of wildfowl for shooting purposes illegal. It would mean the loss of reared mallard but that would be a sacrifice I would be willing to make to stop the abuse of a wild quarry species.

The Americans can still shoot very successfully without resorting to artificial feeding.

Simple enough, make the feeding of wildfowl for shooting purposes illegal. It would mean the loss of reared mallard but that would be a sacrifice I would be willing to make to stop the abuse of a wild quarry species.

The Americans can still shoot very successfully without resorting to artificial feeding.

That said, they do rely on chopped maize for some of their shooting.

saw a picture on facebook yesterday of a bloke with about 25/30 dead geese..whats the point in that?

when i go i shoot 1 or 2 ducks and the same for geese and thats only if family or work mates want them..how can anyone who is not in the meat industry have a use for 30 dead canadas..

just pointless, its just shooting somthing for the sake of pulling the trigger.

I am afraid the only way you will ever stop numbers boys from over shooting wild species is to introduce mandatory bag limits , numbers boys are what they are, numbers boys & that is all they will ever be , ie the type who suffer from the small willy syndrome & they will always want more ! .

Edited by Pole Star

Totally agree where I wildfowl its only slightly picking up again because people relised that in order for there to be duck and geese tney need only take 1 or 2 birds a session.

Also if the yanks can put a limit on the amount of wildfowl shot then so can we!!

Does anyone REALLY want to create the thin end of the wedge?

No not really Penelope but the small w.... numbers boys "" I must have more than him types "" will get it forced on us . ATB

ps you will almost always see these types with 3 shot pogo sticks & if it were not for the 1981 wild life & country side act they would be shooting wild fowl with 5 shot autos & electronic callers .

Edited by Pole Star

Seriously? Not feeding duck ponds and introducing bag limits?

1) that would be impossible to police

2) do you think these people really care if they went over a limit?

3) not feeding a pond would spoil it for a lot of folk who aren't morons.

Still remember going to a duck pond a few years ago with the old man. The duck were piling in by the hundreds,(no joke). The farmer said shoot 4..which was plenty!

Folk that shoot stupid bags should really have their shotguns revoked. You'll only penalise normal sportsmen by other methods

saw a picture on facebook yesterday of a bloke with about 25/30 dead geese..whats the point in that?

when i go i shoot 1 or 2 ducks and the same for geese and thats only if family or work mates want them..how can anyone who is not in the meat industry have a use for 30 dead canadas..

just pointless, its just shooting somthing for the sake of pulling the trigger.

I think i might know who you are talking about mate, If it has anything to do with one of the 'wild fowling groups' on Facebook. If it is the picture I'm thinking of its disgusting.

Yes without doubt it would be hard to police. But something needs to be done. The damage which these mindless fools are causing needs to be stopped.

If you look at the restrictions we as wildfowlers abide to prevent issues such as this happening there is no reason they can't do the same. It's just there is a need for strict punishments to be enforced.

What they shoot in one evening is more than some small clubs properly shoot in total in a whole season.

It's not the case of its a small number of individuals I know of several parties in the SE who do such shooting. And I bet this happens all over the country.

Who needs anti's when we all fall out amongst ourselves ...perhaps if we all stood together as one over the hunting ban then perhaps things would have been different ... if they want to shoot bags of geese or ducks then good luck to them .. Canada geese and greylag are becoming a pest in our area and farmers want the thinned out .not to extinction ..

If they don't do it someone else will .. I rather they be shot in season than out of season .. like alot of lads are ...

Edited to say it always amazes me how everyone jumps on the band wagon ..

Edited by washwildfowler

Who needs anti's when we all fall out amongst ourselves ...perhaps if we all stood together as one over the hunting ban then perhaps things would have been different ... if they want to shoot bags of geese or ducks then good luck to them .. Canada geese and greylag are becoming a pest in our area and farmers want the thinned out .not to extinction ..

If they don't do it someone else will .. I rather they be shot in season than out of season .. like alot of lads are ...

Well said! As I say over and over on here nobody ever has a go at the bloke who shoots 100+ pigeons! Oh and I use a 3 shot pogo stick and I limit the number of birds I shoot.

trigger happy guns have always blighted our sport...they are not happy unless they are killing large numbers of animals or birds just because they cannot resist the urge to pull the trigger!

Myself..I would much rather take one bird or animal that I had to work for,or maybe suffered (not to much) in the chase to put it in the bag..I might be sounding a tad sentimental.

But the atmosphere and the surroundings that I shoot or hunt in is everything to me!! If killing is all that matters get a job in an Abattoir. :mad:

Wayne

No no one does say anything about shooting big bags of pigeons. But there numbers don't seem to be affected by shooting such bags. Wild ducks and geese are though.

I use a pogo stick for a lot of my shooting as well as a traditional side by side for wildfowling. Just because people look down at these guns don't mean you intend to kill 3 bird every time. It is not possible for every one to use a traditional gun for wildfowling due to costs of buying one and loading it with non toxic as a lot don't allow for the use of steel.

Edited to say it always amazes me how everyone jumps on the band wagon ..

If these people want to shoot bags of ducks and geese then they should buy a day on a reared duck shoot. Where geese are a problem then that is a different thing all together, then that is purely pest control. The Wildfowl that we are still allowed as a quarry species are not from a infinite source and overshooting will not only reduce the population further, then what happens when the next study is carried out and some bright spark picks up on the population decrease and pushes for removal of a species from the quarry list - as has already happened with many species being removed and even though there numbers are now well up we will never get them back on the list.

I am certainly not jumping on any band wagon just saying what i think, as you are by disagreeing with the original comment.

trigger happy guns have always blighted our sport...they are not happy unless they are killing large numbers of animals or birds just because they cannot resist the urge to pull the trigger!

Myself..I would much rather take one bird or animal that I had to work for,or maybe suffered (not to much) in the chase to put it in the bag..I might be sounding a tad sentimental.

But the atmosphere and the surroundings that I shoot or hunt in is everything to me!! If killing is all that matters get a job in an Abattoir. :mad:

Wayne

I do work in a abbitour thanks ...and I work hard to keep my shooting and again it means everything thing too me also .

No no one does say anything about shooting big bags of pigeons. But there numbers don't seem to be affected by shooting such bags. Wild ducks and geese are though.

I use a pogo stick for a lot of my shooting as well as a traditional side by side for wildfowling. Just because people look down at these guns don't mean you intend to kill 3 bird every time. It is not possible for every one to use a traditional gun for wildfowling due to costs of buying one and loading it with non toxic as a lot don't allow for the use of steel.

That might be the case where you are but where I am the geese population is increasing year on year, especially Canada geese.

Edited by WelshAndy

If these people want to shoot bags of ducks and geese then they should buy a day on a reared duck shoot. Where geese are a problem then that is a different thing all together, then that is purely pest control. The Wildfowl that we are still allowed as a quarry species are not from a infinite source and overshooting will not only reduce the population further, then what happens when the next study is carried out and some bright spark picks up on the population decrease and pushes for removal of a species from the quarry list - as has already happened with many species being removed and even though there numbers are now well up we will never get them back on the list.

I am certainly not jumping on any band wagon just saying what i think, as you are by disagreeing with the original comment.

It won’t be long before we lose yet another species off our quarry list..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i feel that these actions can only have detrimental effect to our sport we all so love and enjoy. Which I want to see being enjoyed for many a generation to come.

It won’t be long before we lose yet another species off our quarry list..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i feel that these actions can only have detrimental effect to our sport we all so love and enjoy. Which I want to see being enjoyed for many a generation to come.

+1, I am a relative newcomer to wildfowling and when i speak to the older generations and they remember the days of flighting curlew etc i start to wonder what will change and what my kids will be able to do.