Beretta SP1 Fallin' to bits

MuPPeT_ON_TouR

don't mean to add fuel to the fire , but I have just looked at my 1995 berretta silver pigeon and ....... 1 The action is NOT plated and 2 I have NO wear , its a little shinny but that's to be expected , however its nowhere as bad as mateys that's for sure

maybe they just don't make em like they used to ...

stevo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't mean to add fuel to the fire , but I have just looked at my 1995 berretta silver pigeon and ....... 1 The action is NOT plated and 2 I have NO wear , its a little shinny but that's to be expected , however its nowhere as bad as mateys that's for sure

stevo

Bulls eye....they got to big for their boots

stevo

I expect yours was built to much looser on tolerances. They are very tight from new now, and personally, I prefer that. I had a Lanber some years ago. That didn't have any wear signs on it after 500 shells had gone through it. By the time it had 2 and a half thousand through it, it literally fell to bits. Sometimes loose is not as good as it seems :no:

I expect yours was built to much looser on tolerances. They are very tight from new now, and personally, I prefer that. I had a Lanber some years ago. That didn't have any wear signs on it after 500 shells had gone through it. By the time it had 2 and a half thousand through it, it literally fell to bits. Sometimes loose is not as good as it seems :no:

No not really , there are no gaps or miss-aliments and its as tight as a drum , its had a full service every august whether its wants one or not , .

you would think this gun was made by Audi ! ................Vorsprung durch pigeon

Fiesta verses GT40,you pays your money I s'pose,my cheapest gun is £3200 new and due to this post i gave it a good look over it's 2008 and spotless it is, and I'm not big on cleaning it.and as for the perazzi, it's another level all together ,you can hear the air being squeezed out as it closes,enginering art,I did have an SP1 about four years ago and had no issues with it apart for the lack of work on the stock from the factory

IMHO, you are overly stressing about this. I have a 12g SP1 and recently bought a 20g SP1. It has the same rub marks. Its purely down to the fore end "kissing" the action. The high spot could be measured in microns, not even thou's. On high end guns, this would be hand polished using candle smoke to get the clearance to the width of soot.

When I was after my SP1, I looked at lots of alternatives and the gaps here and there in the machining were huge for much more money than the SP1.

I agree the soldering needs doing on the muzzle, easy job as has already been said, and GMK have said they will do it.

I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit. You don't seem so bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels :hmm: . That would upset me more due to my own carelessness. Or maybe you are bothered and want to get a new gun out of GMK :hmm:

At the end of the day, its not, in the scheme of shotguns, hugely expensive. In 5 years time, it will, like mine, stand you in around a fiver a week, or £2.50 if you decide to sell it then. Less than the price of half a pint :yes: In the meantime, for that money, look at what its giving you back.

Chill, its a slight mark, its a tool albeit a nice one, not a priceless oil painting, Ming vase, or a Purdey. Go and have some fun with it. :good:

Some great comments and thoughts, of course it would have been better had you read the thread first though.

"I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit"

My opening line reads "A slight exaggeration but after only 350 shots fired and 4 outings I was a bit disappointed to see this on my 1 year old SP1" it was sort of sarcasm, you must have missed it.

"I have a 12g SP1 and recently bought a 20g SP1. It has the same rub marks"

Are you on about rub marks/wear and tear that I and everybody else expects to see... or plating flaking off the gun after next to no use?

"Chill, it's a slight mark"

Plating flaking off is a slight mark and my concerns about it spreading to where it can be seen are without merit and I should not have seeked advice from this forum and GMK?

"You don't seem so bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels"

This one gets to me as I'm not sure how you know what bothers me but after you read this post I'm sure you will be more clued up.

"Or maybe you are bothered and want to get a new gun out of GMK"

You must have missed the fact that the only time I wanted a new gun is when they said it will take 6-9 months to get MINE back

You probably didn't read this either...

"it is a really small ding, almost unnoticeable unless it is dirty"

"Only good news is I will get it back soon"

To sum up for you.

"bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels"..."I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit"...

Not sure you even read your own post in the end.

So just to recap for you

Plate Flake Problem?

6-9 month ***!

Me blame warranty no, not happy.

Edited by MuPPeT_ON_TouR

IMHO, you are overly stressing about this. I have a 12g SP1 and recently bought a 20g SP1. It has the same rub marks. Its purely down to the fore end "kissing" the action. The high spot could be measured in microns, not even thou's. On high end guns, this would be hand polished using candle smoke to get the clearance to the width of soot.

When I was after my SP1, I looked at lots of alternatives and the gaps here and there in the machining were huge for much more money than the SP1.

I agree the soldering needs doing on the muzzle, easy job as has already been said, and GMK have said they will do it.

I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit. You don't seem so bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels :hmm: . That would upset me more due to my own carelessness. Or maybe you are bothered and want to get a new gun out of GMK :hmm:

At the end of the day, its not, in the scheme of shotguns, hugely expensive. In 5 years time, it will, like mine, stand you in around a fiver a week, or £2.50 if you decide to sell it then. Less than the price of half a pint :yes: In the meantime, for that money, look at what its giving you back.

Chill, its a slight mark, its a tool albeit a nice one, not a priceless oil painting, Ming vase, or a Purdey. Go and have some fun with it. :good:

:good::);):stupid:

Some great comments and thoughts, of course it would have been better had you read the thread first though.

"I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit"

My opening line reads "A slight exaggeration but after only 350 shots fired and 4 outings I was a bit disappointed to see this on my 1 year old SP1" it was sort of sarcasm, you must have missed it.

"I have a 12g SP1 and recently bought a 20g SP1. It has the same rub marks"

Are you on about rub marks/wear and tear that I and everybody else expects to see... or plating flaking off the gun after next to no use?

"Chill, it's a slight mark"

Plating flaking off is a slight mark and my concerns about it spreading to where it can be seen are without merit and I should not have seeked advice from this forum and GMK?

"You don't seem so bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels"

This one gets to me as I'm not sure how you know what bothers me but after you read this post I'm sure you will be more clued up.

"Or maybe you are bothered and want to get a new gun out of GMK"

You must have missed the fact that the only time I wanted a new gun is when they said it will take 6-9 months to get MINE back

You probably didn't read this either...

"it is a really small ding, almost unnoticeable unless it is dirty"

"Only good news is I will get it back soon"

To sum up for you.

"bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels"..."I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit"...

Not sure you even read your own post in the end.

So just to recap for you

Plate Flake Problem?

6-9 month ***!

Me blame warranty no, not happy.

Well that has to be just about the most condescending and sarcastic post this year. :yes: You had a rant, had some support and advice. Clearly, you want everyone to fall in line with your thinking. Well I'm sorry to tell you there are other opinions in the world, and throwing anger back at an alternative view is not always the way forward. Hey ho.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a couple of week I finally have my gun back. GMK have cleaned the knuckle as an act of good will on their behalf

I'm still a bit ****** off that that they maintain that plate flaking off mine and a couple of other owners of the SP1 guns on this forum is our fault and due to lack of lubrication.

Havin' said all that I am very pleased at the results, these pics were taken after shooting 150 carts on Friday and after a clean so looks like the fix has done it's job and should hold.

KNUCKLE AREA

P1010020.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010023.jpg

FORE END (Not nearly as much wear as others and not as deep)

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

FORE END/KNUCKLE GAP (Not loose after material was removed)

P1010032.jpg

P1010029.jpg

If you have plating flaking off get it to GMK I can't see anything wrong with the work they have done.