165 miles for two shots..one pigeon and a new perm

steveyg

Got to my only perm for 6.30 this morning, 3 hrs later ..two shots and a single pigeon...what a beautiful morning though,absolute pleasure to be out in the fresh air.

I put an advert on a farmers forum in May and had totally forgot about it..anyway got a text at 9.30 from a farmer saying he would like to meet and would be happy for me to shoot on his land...result :yahoo: Decided to pack up and drive over for a reccy.

Its not huge,175 acres however now have two perms.. :) As with perm one the farmer is a real gent and really easy to get on with.

Its a 60 mile round trip for perm one and 65 miles for perm two....still crunching the miles however its nice to have options.

Just about to crack open a few beers to celebrate...happy days

well done on gaining more land steve. 175 acres is a nice amount and can be very productive,depending on whats grown there.

good communications with the farmer are essential though to keep you posted on bird activity even if they do sometimes tell you theres thousands when there only 50 :innocent:

best of luck with it all. :good:

I forgot to add to my earlier post that I have just taken on another 300 acres of land. This is an island farm and is part of a much larger land holding. The relevance of that is that all 300 acres were down to rape this year. The rape has been cut over several weeks and I have made lots of visits and I have yet to see more than a dozen pigeons in total.

My point being that some land simply does not hold pigeons. Some fields attract pigeons and others do not. Your new land may not suit pigeons. Only they know why if the crops in those fields appear to be the same as in adjacent or nearby fields.

If you could get the farmer to grow beans or peas that might change things somewhat.

Nice one Steve.

You're not the only one that has to travel a bit. The land that I shoot over is 88 miles from my house. There's over 4000 acres though, and it is fabulous land, so it's worth it to me.

At the moment it seems very slow early in the day. Generally picking up in the afternoon.

Got to my only perm for 6.30 this morning, 3 hrs later ..two shots and a single pigeon...what a beautiful morning though,absolute pleasure to be out in the fresh air.

I put an advert on a farmers forum in May and had totally forgot about it..anyway got a text at 9.30 from a farmer saying he would like to meet and would be happy for me to shoot on his land...result :yahoo: Decided to pack up and drive over for a reccy.

Its not huge,175 acres however now have two perms.. :) As with perm one the farmer is a real gent and really easy to get on with.

Its a 60 mile round trip for perm one and 65 miles for perm two....still crunching the miles however its nice to have options.

Just about to crack open a few beers to celebrate...happy days

That was one expensive pigeon, and I though we were having a bad day with 21 all day Thursday 200 yrds from my back door.