First Clay Vest

Fielder

I'm looking to get my first clay shooting vest as i seem to be shooting more regularly these days. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to go for and / or what to look out for? do the more expensive vests offer anything the cheaper vests do not?

I would also love to hear any suggestions too.

(sorry if this has been asked many times before, i have had a look at some of the older posts but still had some questions)

I bought a beretta vest off ebay it was £58 which included postage and came with beretta's gel recoil pad (normally £15-£20 on its own) which fits into the vest so if you needed extra recoil protection it's an added bonus . The quality of the vest is very good, I'm not too sure about the quality of the cheaper ones available sorry.

Personally i wouldnt buy a skeet vest unless it had the leather shoulder strip down it, I had an all fabric one once but i just couldnt get on with it !

I totally agree. The cheap one I bought has a leather front but was in a sale and should have been closer to £40. I've had a look and they only have them left in XS sizes. One thing that I have found useful is that it has a press stud hoop to hold ear defenders. It is worth checking if it has a pocket for a recoil pad. I'm new to clays and don't always hold the gun correctly. I bruise easily and found a bit of high density foam helps a lot.

Just use a seeland vest not exactly a skeet vest but looks nice on the top of a Barbour shirt and it has cartridge box pockets ...

Be careful, I made the faux pas of adding a blue cravat to my Harris tweed summer outfit and got forcefully expelled from the club house.

Be careful, I made the faux pas of adding a blue cravat to my Harris tweed summer outfit and got forcefully expelled from the club house.

think we move in different circles old fruit we don't have a clubhouse ,

we use the carboots to sit in ,

we carry the trap down to the field ,

most of who I shoot with are ex miners so plenty of swearing and spitting ,

We play offground tigs if we get bored as there's plenty of trees to climb ,

Shout pull for your mate before he has loaded the gun as old les the trapper is deaf as a post ,

Swear shout and change carts for 40gram 3s whilst admiring your friends Baikal ,

Farting comps depending on what you had from the takeaway saturday night ,

Keep saying pair miss this really winds one of the old boys up ,

Safety is always maintained more probably than any club though ,

Best part is most of the old boys using there 30 yr old lanber s could blind half of the hooray Henry's from there posh clay clubs ;)

Edited by delburt0

think we move in different circles old fruit we don't have a clubhouse ,

we use the carboots to sit in ,

we carry the trap down to the field ,

You posh ******!

We sit on old cow pats in a septic tanks abandoned on a stagnant marsh.

We don't use clays or guns, we just throw rocks in the air and shout BANG at them.

brill you will have to come ply with us on a Sunday morning, wear your playing out clothes though. :)

:good:

Back on topic......

Just my view,

I don't see the point in wearing a vest.

Each to their own. I find having a cartridge bag with 100 carts on one hip uncomfortable. Rarely are things necessary, just nice to have.

Joking aside. I think some blokes just like to dress up. At my local shooting ground you get everything from trainers and jeans up to full traditional shooting outfits. No one seems to take much notice and it isn't linked to ability. I think it just goes with the sport. Some see it as a bit of fun, others as an obsession.

:good:

Back on topic......

Each to their own. I find having a cartridge bag with 100 carts on one hip uncomfortable. Rarely are things necessary, just nice to have.

Joking aside. I think some blokes just like to dress up. At my local shooting ground you get everything from trainers and jeans up to full traditional shooting outfits. No one seems to take much notice and it isn't linked to ability. I think it just goes with the sport. Some see it as a bit of fun, others as an obsession.

I too would find 100 cartridges in a hip pouch uncomfortable.

Infact, I can only fit 50-60 max in mine.

If I'm shooting more/practicing, then just carry the rest in a separate cartridge bag.