New to the scene with a BSA Ultra Multi 177

glennedwards

Hi all,

Firstly thanks to anyone who replied to my "wanted" posts... sorry if i didnt get back to you.

I have just picked up my BSA ultra multishot 177. in beech which come with a Simmons Deerfield 4-12 x 40 scope, a Whisper 180 silencer, Hatsan pump and a tin of JSB diablo pellets for £350, which i think is a pretty good deal?

I have a few questions if anyone has a minute or two spare..

What is a tench regulator, how will it benefit the gun and how much will it cost? Is it something that can be purchased and DIY fitted or professional only?

Will this gun humanely take down a rabbit at say 40 yards?

Whats the best pellet for the job? I have ordered some BSA intercepter hollow points, any good?

What is the general opinion on fancy pellets such as plastic and copper tip, prometheus etc?

The retaining catch that holds the mag in is very stiff, does anyone else have this problem?

What is the optimum pressure to fill to? Manual says 232bar however i have read that lower pressures perform better?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated.. Thanks

Hey mate, welcome to the air rifle world! Looks like you got a pretty good deal with your ultra :)

In answer to your questions:

1) Tench Regulator A Tench Regulator controls the pressure between the cylinder and the firing valve, making the transfer regular. This means that every shot is the same throughout the charge. non regulated guns have a sweet spot in a full air charge, in which the shots are at a consistent power, but outside that range that can fluctuate a little bit, causing the shots to be much less consistent, thus affecting the accuracy. A regulated gun has no such problems; the last shot will be the same as the first, so you don't have to worry about finding that magic sweet spot. unless someone knows more I don't think you can do it yourself, you need to send it off to XTX air and they fit it for you. here's a link to the website that explains it all http://www.xtxair.co.uk/bsa-ultra-scorpion-hornet.php

2) rabbit out to 40yds: yes - assuming you're able to hit the target at that range consistently Your gun has the power, it's a case of whether you have the skill. practice practice practice :)

3) The best pellet is the one that is most accurate! that can come down to trial and error and buying tester packs. I use these people off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-22-Air-Rifle-Pellets-Sample-Test-Pack-10-Types-/270736126456?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3f092171f8

as a general guide, AA diabolo fields seem to suit most guns, H&N FTT, JSB exact or bisley magnums might also be good. Hollow point pellets are great for short ranger as they are really hard hitting, but beyond about 20 yds and they're not the most accurate of fellows. I use them for close quarter rat splat jobs, but if it's bunnies on the permission, it's a good quality domed pellet for me. they give great stability through the air and a nice hard hit.

4) opinion on weird pellets. My opinion on the fancy stuff is they're not really worth it! give me a good lead pellet any day of the week. I have had a go with the copper coated ones and they do hit very hard, but I didn't see any real advantage over the lead ones, so why bother? A bit of a gimmick if you ask me. same with all this prometheus business.

5) Retaining catch. I can't help you on that, I've never had an Ultra - sorry!

6) Fill Pressure. This is linked to the question of a regulator. There's no point putting more air in than whenever your sweet spot starts. if you're gun is most consistent from 200bar, then fill it to that. Run your gun over a chronograph for a couple of full charges and you'll quickly see where the best fill pressure is. then fill the gun up to that pressure. If you do get a Tench Regulator fitted, I think you can charge it a bit higher than the 232 and still get a consistent count but don't take my word for it! check that with XTX-air.

hope that helps. what kind of land do you shoot over?

Edited by chrisjpainter

Stick with domed pellets such as: RWS, Air Arms, JSB, H&N and bisley magnums.

The Set up you have picked up sounds great and is a proven accuarte rifle and definately capable of a 40yard head shot bunny being a clean kill, you just have to do your part.

Remember to clean the barrel between pellet brands when pellet testing and also remember there are diferent head sizes in each calibre of each pellet.

Also get on you tube and watch Si Pitaways videos of him using his wife Laura`s BSA Ultra. The you tube channel is called: VerminHuntersTV . You will see some of the excellant groups and over distance that are acheivable with a BSA Ultra espcally with the right pellet.

I will try to post you some liks later !

ATB

Matt

Mine like AA Diablo's as well, Tench himself fitted my regulator to my .22 multi, and I fill to 275bar.

On Simon's (Tench) advice of course. It will also give you the consistency of shot that you only get

in the "sweet spot" on unregulated guns. 70 shots all between 11.1 and 11.6 ft/lbs.

So I get over 70 shots before it drops of the regulator at about 90 bar.

But I've never got that low on air when hunting. Great gun when regulated.

Have loads of fun with your Ultra , they are better than some people would have you

believe. I have had mine for 18 months reg'd from nearly new, and never ever had a

problem with any part of it. Its used at least three nights a week and has accounted for

thousands of bunnies/ squirrels, and Corvids. :good:

mine loved bisley magnums as with my new bsa r10mk 2

i had the old ultra and that took rabbits cleanly at 40yrds but like above i done loads of target practice at home made paper rabbit targets so i hit the right spot to kill it inhumanely

A bit more practice it's better to kill them humanely :good:

mine loved bisley magnums as with my new bsa r10mk 2

i had the old ultra and that took rabbits cleanly at 40yrds but like above i done loads of target practice at home made paper rabbit targets so i hit the right spot to kill it inhumanely

should get more practice with my typing though :lol:

should read humanely

Ultra's fill to 232 in standard form. I was informed that 275 is safe :)

I am reliably informed the tube deforms at 350 when tested with water.

I would not go over 275 personally, and would not wish to persuade any

other owner to go over advised fill levels.

I use AA Diablo's , or Falcon accuracy plus . and re-zero accordingly.

With the new "Photon" on board and a new Swift silencer ,

It looks fabulous in Tactical form. Love it :good:

Edited by Longbower