foxing rifle

rangey

im looking at getting a 223 for foxing.im new to centre fire rifles and looking for advice on what twist and bullet weight would be best suited for fox.im on a budget so ive been looking at howa 1500 with 1-12 twist or savage axis with 1-9 twist...as you can see,its a tight budget...

im looking at getting a 223 for foxing.im new to centre fire rifles and looking for advice on what twist and bullet weight would be best suited for fox.im on a budget so ive been looking at howa 1500 with 1-12 twist or savage axis with 1-9 twist...as you can see,its a tight budget...

Either twist should work with the lighter varmint bullets. If its just foxing I should go 1-12 as the 1-9 only has advantages in the slightly heavier stuff. My mates 1-9 don't mind anything from 40-69 grn but each gun can be fussy and 1-12 will certainly like the 40-55 stuff generally though again not all makes and brands suit all barrels regardless of stated twist, just choose which gun you preffer. Just have a quick look at the CZ 527 while your at it, in a common calibre like .223 you should find a near mint second hand one and save a packet

Either twist should work with the lighter varmint bullets. If its just foxing I should go 1-12 as the 1-9 only has advantages in the slightly heavier stuff. My mates 1-9 don't mind anything from 40-69 grn but each gun can be fussy and 1-12 will certainly like the 40-55 stuff generally though again not all makes and brands suit all barrels regardless of stated twist, just choose which gun you preffer. Just have a quick look at the CZ 527 while your at it, in a common calibre like .223 you should find a near mint second hand one and save a packet

thanks for the info.i will have a look at s/h 527.thought even s/h would be above my budget.would be nice to get a cz as both my rimfires are cz and they are great....

I'm really not a fan of the Savage, it feels very cheaply made. I too would look at the used market - Browning A-Bolt, CZ527, maybe a Howa?

1-12 is plenty for light bullets. The best bullet I have ever used in this calibre was a 55gr Berger Varminter. They beat the **** out of foxes - pick one up after a front end chest shot and it's insides will be sloshing around like lumpy soup. They really are very hard hitting, and in my gun they were extremely accurate too.

We use a Howa 1500 and have shot hundreds of foxes with it! :good:

Generally use Hornady 55 or 40grain VMax either does the job out to 250yds

Got a mate who uses a Savage and that does the job as well!!

Gun trader there is a Savage for £ (new) http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Savage-Arms_Rifle_Edge_For-Sale_121122164019001

Also a Howa for £470 (new) http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Howa_Rifle_1500-Black_For-Sale_110826115045001

Dont forget your gonna need a good scope mod & bipod.

Def dont skimp on the scope!!

Edited by masmiffy

I've a Howa 1500 in .223 and can't fault it.

I went in the shop asked what .223's he had in stock and he put over half a dozen on the counter.

Tikka lite. Just seemed too lightweight for me

CZ 527 with a laminated stock. The palm swell was such a handful it felt like I was picking a horses fetlock up!

CZ 527 sporter came a close second

Tikka m595 about 20 years old and hardly used in mint condition with iron sights, but as I wanted to fit a moderator and a scope I just couldn't bring myself to start changing it.

In the end I kept picking up the Howa and it felt right for me. Not knocking any of the above just my opinions and what felt right for me within the budget I had set myself.

As above I also have a howa 1500 blk none slip with stainless barrel and its great. Did have tikka light and I reckon the howa is better. Deadly accurate mine uses sako 55gr gamepoint SP. When shooting I can shoot anywhere between 50mtrs and 200 without almost any aiming off . got mine used mint condition with mod for 600

As above I also have a howa 1500 blk none slip with stainless barrel and its great. Did have tikka light and I reckon the howa is better. Deadly accurate mine uses sako 55gr gamepoint SP. When shooting I can shoot anywhere between 50mtrs and 200 without almost any aiming off . got mine used mint condition with mod for 600

thanks for all the replys...leaning towards a howa at moment with a bolt a close second

Id go for the Howa I have one excellent for the money :good: but dont knock the Savage Axis, its a superb accurate rifle, yes the stock looks and feels yukk and the finish overall isnt great but the bit the counts is the barrel and its the dogs for out of the box rifle, trigger is heavy but useable and Timney make a replacement Ive seen the rifle on its own for £350.00 so a bargain plus Edgars Bros 3 year warranty.

Well in your budget.

Alan

Whats the general opinion on the X bolt in 223?

I haven't used one but have picked one up and it felt very nice but I also picked up the Tikka and it felt as good. Cost was the reason I picked the Howa and I do like it a lot but without actually using the X-bolt it's hard to say. I think the X-bolt would be a better rifle for carrying as the Howa is a bit on heavy side but it is a good rifle and suits me. As I said earlier, they are all good accurate rifles as they wouldn't sell. It all comes down to cost and personal preferences.

If your gonna carry the rifle then weight can be a factor but your gonna be adding a scope and mod so it wont make that much difference!!

As for magazine I have never ever used the mag capacity on the Howa, 1 round at a time and reload after the bang that way at least you dont get the dreaded 'click' when you think you still have one round left!

If your gonna carry the rifle then weight can be a factor but your gonna be adding a scope and mod so it wont make that much difference!!

As for magazine I have never ever used the mag capacity on the Howa, 1 round at a time and reload after the bang that way at least you dont get the dreaded 'click' when you think you still have one round left!

I know what you mean but I'm suffering from some fairly nasty back and leg problems so carrying a heavy rifle with scope and mod compared to a lighter rifle with a scope and mod does make a difference. I am by no imagination a weakling and I do like my Howa a lot, but I took someone out the other night with a Tikka T3 and I did feel better at the end of the night. Still wouldn't swop with my Howa though as one advantage of the heavier rifle is that once it's on my sticks it's weight makes it very stable. Any particular reason, apart from the dreaded 'click', you don't use a magazine/drop down floor plate?

well i finally made my mind up and opted for the howa,picking it up tomorrow.found a new one locally for £500.

thanks for everyones input.....now then witch mod to go for....

well i finally made my mind up and opted for the howa,picking it up tomorrow.found a new one locally for £500.

thanks for everyones input.....now then witch mod to go for....

I went for the Sonic 45 on mine and it's not too heavy and fairly quiet as well. Did you end up getting the .223 or did you go for a different calibre?

I know what you mean but I'm suffering from some fairly nasty back and leg problems so carrying a heavy rifle with scope and mod compared to a lighter rifle with a scope and mod does make a difference. I am by no imagination a weakling and I do like my Howa a lot, but I took someone out the other night with a Tikka T3 and I did feel better at the end of the night. Still wouldn't swop with my Howa though as one advantage of the heavier rifle is that once it's on my sticks it's weight makes it very stable. Any particular reason, apart from the dreaded 'click', you don't use a magazine/drop down floor plate?

To be honest have never even thought about loading the magazine!! We do all our foxing from the top of a purpose adapted vitara with a flat platform which gives 360 vision and a perfect base for the bipod this also means weight isnt a problem. We have a 'magazine' on the inside of the roof which hold 10 rounds and we just take one from there and reload after the shot. To be honest its never been a problem and the 'adapted' vitara is the dogs gonads for a lamping vehicle

To be honest have never even thought about loading the magazine!! We do all our foxing from the top of a purpose adapted vitara with a flat platform which gives 360 vision and a perfect base for the bipod this also means weight isnt a problem. We have a 'magazine' on the inside of the roof which hold 10 rounds and we just take one from there and reload after the shot. To be honest its never been a problem and the 'adapted' vitara is the dogs gonads for a lamping vehicle

Sounds like a good reason to me :good: