12g 3 1/2" mag or 10g

rascal72

Take it from someone who has both and go for the 12. Sure the 10 will be better for geese. But it's limiting if your expecting ducks as well. And how often do you go out for geese and your only chance for the flight is a teal?

Plus for the 10 you really do need to reload. Something I'll eventually get into.

12 every one for me purely on versatility, availability of shells and lighter for long distance walks/reaction shots

Get a Browning gold lite 10 b auto, had a old browning years ago and it was a dedicated goose gun never bothered shooting ducks with it, it was way to heavy but good for geese.

My mate has a new browning gold lite with a 28inch barrel and weighs around 9lbs I had a look round the gun its steel proofed and handles well for a 10b.

So early this year I picked one up in new condition plus with a steel master reloader never looked back good on ducks and geese with factory ammo or home loads.

Go for the 12b - I have 2 x 10b and 2 x 12b. I took the 10 out on friday to the dovey expecting lots of geese and ended up shooting teal, wisgeon and mallard and no geese!

Not very cost effective with 63g Bismuth loads (even if you load them yourself) and I was at a serious disadvantage on teal as they are so blooming quick!

Go for the 12b - I have 2 x 10b and 2 x 12b. I took the 10 out on friday to the dovey expecting lots of geese and ended up shooting teal, wisgeon and mallard and no geese!

Not very cost effective with 63g Bismuth loads (even if you load them yourself) and I was at a serious disadvantage on teal as they are so blooming quick!

Perhaps a few 1 3/8 steel 2 or 3 in the pocket would have been a good idea.

I have a few 12 ga guns, but my main fowling 12 is an SX3 chambered 3 1/2". Its killed plenty geese and a fair number of duck now (owned it about 4 yrs) Was totally taken with the 3 1/2" super magnum initially even trying them in BB lead for foxing and even no.3 steel for duck. Now I am of the mind that a good 3" shell is more or less its equal and the ten just outclasses it on lighter recoil and far better patterns,strangely also on long range energy comparing equal loads of Remington Nitro steel 12 v 10 (this last fact shouldn't be but I promise you it is when tested, perhaps barrel length?).

If I was re-arming for the foreshore today I think I should use a good 3" 12 ga load for duck and low / decoyed geese and a Ten for flighting. the only two issues with the ten are carry weight ( I actually find I shoot a heavy gun better as I get a smoother swing) and the fact it has become a hand loaders gun (the new Gamebore ten bore factory might change that?)

The super magnum is just louder, more expensive and slightly more unpleasant to shoot and to recover from the first and following shots IMO

Interesting variation on opinions and I think kent you have probably answered my dilema as I already have 3" 12g and as most of the geese are flighting foreshore I think a 10g will be my next purchase and while im still fit enough carry the two guns thanks for all opinions

Atb r72

Guest cookoff013

the 10gauge can handle lots of big shot. thats what it is there for.

iof you reloaded for the 10gauge, it actually pays off bigstyle and really quickly.

(steel)

looked at just cartridges and the loads come in at around £1800 per 1000. normally for 12gauge shells its about ~£250 maximum per k.

i think i worked it out a year ago, it breaks even at under 200 shots.

if you are looking for goose gun exclusively, goe this.

Interesting variation on opinions and I think kent you have probably answered my dilema as I already have 3" 12g and as most of the geese are flighting foreshore I think a 10g will be my next purchase and while im still fit enough carry the two guns thanks for all opinions

Atb r72

Well, I never carry two guns. The Ten can also Kill duck, its just not required. If its just duck I take a 12, if its duck with the chance of a goose I take Remington 3" Nitro steel in no.2 AM and don't swap shells ( I just wouldn't take that load and gun out purely to flight geese)

I have a Browning 10 bore that I just use for geese to me there is no better gun for this task

I also have an extrema 12 bore 3.5 that I use for duck much lighter to carry and packs a light 10 bore load with 3.5 steel

Saying this I think the browning pattens better with steel. I use steel for all my wildfowling

John

I think the problem I face at the minute is when I do visit the marsh I shoot ive never seen good numbers of duck and always ended up waiting for the goose flights with only one goose last season as most were out of range for the 3" 12g I have at the minute, last season was my 1st with about 40-50 flights for 1 goose but totally amazing sights and sounds, this season is getting a bit more serious as I am hooked (so much that my deer stalking has taken a back seat) ive got myself a dog as last season I missed out on a lot that I could have taken but probably never found so now to find the right gun/cart combo ive been using the 3" mamoth heavi load steel 36g 1's but dont think these are enough for the geese but had good results on the duck so far this season

I think the problem I face at the minute is when I do visit the marsh I shoot ive never seen good numbers of duck and always ended up waiting for the goose flights with only one goose last season as most were out of range for the 3" 12g I have at the minute, last season was my 1st with about 40-50 flights for 1 goose but totally amazing sights and sounds, this season is getting a bit more serious as I am hooked (so much that my deer stalking has taken a back seat) ive got myself a dog as last season I missed out on a lot that I could have taken but probably never found so now to find the right gun/cart combo ive been using the 3" mamoth heavi load steel 36g 1's but dont think these are enough for the geese but had good results on the duck so far this season

so you think that an extra 6 grm of steel will make a big difference? In fairness it wont increase your range, speed and aftermarket chokes might but hey must both come as a package. I have a stack of 31/2" gamebore no.1 here I should gladly trade for Remington Nitro steel no.2 in a 3" as they are a whole heap nicer to shoot and just as effective