Looking at a new lab pup next weekend

seph234

Hi ive currently got my black lab but she has just turned 9 so im looking at getting a new black Bitch to start training up. to accompany her and hopefully pick up some of the traits she has. :)

ive found some on the kennel club they are an accredited breeder and all seems to check out. they have a website fenflyerlabrador.co.uk

Has anyone had any dealings with them?

Ive asked all the usual Q's and im awaiting a reply on the hip, elbow and eye scores. Is there anything else i can ask before going to look on Sunday.

Regards

Joe

Hi Joe,

My only advice is...... Take your time and do your research!

Don't go to see any pups until your really sure they are the pup for you, and then be prepared to walk away if it's not right. You may get convinced the pups are exactly what your after by a good salesman when they're not quite what they seem.

Your going to have that pup hopefully a long time, don't rush into buying one because it's close by or your coerced by the breeder.

Hope you get a good one, all the best.

DaveL

Ok thanks for the replies. i have been reading up so im pretty much armed, i really wish my circumstances were different when i first got my Lab, i would of had a litter with her and kept a pup. but hindsight is great. i looked at fernshot gundogs but they do not list any lab litters at the moment. but will give them a call to see if they have any planned.

Regards

Joe

Yes i agree with you it just means they should stick to a code and do minimal tests and of course pay a subscription to the kennel club which in turn lets them advertise for free.

thats why im doing my research now. my current lab came from a nice home and working stock the lady had all the checks carried out but it was a first litter with her own dog. i really cant fault my lab. so im hoping my next one will be just as good.

Edited by seph234

Joe,

I didn't want to come across as to negative in my previous post but over the years I've seen many people when looking for a pup go for the easy option because they are either "just up the road" or cheap, and then live to regret it.

I'm not saying this is the case with yourself as you stated you are already doing the research which is the right way to go about it.

The pups advertised on the website you mentioned will probably be priced on a par with other's from "proper" working stock but I know which way I'd go to spend my money.

DaveL

Thats fine and no you didn't come across negative. im taking it all onboard and trying to go in level headed B)

I appreciate all comments.

i have just looked at another set of pups that was born over the weekend http://www.meadowdalelabradorpups.moonfruit.com/#/puppies/4579711757

i have also emailed these for some more info.

There was an article in shooting times fairly recently about the KC accredited breeder scheme, while it seems great on paper many of the top gundog breeders are not in it as some of the good breeding stock/stud dogs are not in it.

just got to trust the breeders if u like them, obviously word of mouth if ur in the working dog circles. Try asking ur local gunog club or checking on their website for working pups, i think also the wildfowling clubs down there are quite 'doggy' mibee some advertised on there site too?

i have just looked at another set of pups that was born over the weekend http://www.meadowdalelabradorpups.moonfruit.com/#/puppies/4579711757

I've just had a bit of a look at the pedigree, I always look at the dams pedigree as it's usually the weakest. Garrethall Nyoni of Meadowdale has a stud book number which means she's either won or been placed in a trial. Birdsbrook Eppie & Millibues Merry Maid both have siblings with stud book numbers. They all have good hip scores. Certainly well worth getting in touch about.

The funny thing at the moment though is if you have a decent working dog why would you put it in pup and loose a seasons work from her, the timing isn't good.

The kc breeder scheme has certain standards but as you found the right individual who gets the tests done and selects the mating carefully and has a litter at home because they want to keep one is almost the ideal. Certainly the litter I had this summer in that situation sold in a week and judging by the photos and calls I've been getting its nice to be that little more personal rather than a breeder who is churning out pups.

I've just had a bit of a look at the pedigree, I always look at the dams pedigree as it's usually the weakest. Garrethall Nyoni of Meadowdale has a stud book number which means she's either won or been placed in a trial. Birdsbrook Eppie & Millibues Merry Maid both have siblings with stud book numbers. They all have good hip scores. Certainly well worth getting in touch about.

I went today and see the pups but im not going for one out of this litter. i couldnt see anything wrong with them i just didnt like the kennel type set up. the mum was away from the pups and i just didnt get the the right feel of the place. but im booked in to see the meadowdale pups in two weeks time.

Al4x i totally agree with you. my current lab came from a very nice home reared litter and it feels so much better when you go to visit them.

Accredited breeder don't mean much really. Hips,eyes, genetic testing for eyes are all good But reason for breeding and both parents being proven at work are so much more important.

If I was looking for another dog tomorrow I shouldn't discount a proper home reared pup and why should your average gundog owner looking to continue a good line wish to become an accredited or even registered breeder?

• 2 weeks later...

Been to meadowdale today and got a pup, they are really nice people, mum has a really good temperament, they both have loads of experience and a lot of info, and after you get your pup they are on the end of the phone, let me know what you think

Yep very Nice litter of Pups so i will be picking up Fern in 4weeks 6 days :)