Lanber O/U not firing?

sandspider

Hi all

Went clay shooting this morning, and got fairly wet. Took the gun home, took it to pieces (forend, barrel, action), dried it on a towel then left it to air dry. Couple of hours later I oiled it and put it back together. But now, it won't fire. When I pull the trigger, nothing happens - feels a bit like the safety is on (it's not!). If I open the gun, the snap caps don't eject, they just slide out a little bit - it's as if the gun thinks it hasn't fired. The firing pins are back in the action, not projecting. So, if I then close it again, it doesn't cock (no noises from the action, as it's already cocked). I did fire one or both barrels during reassembly (and the appropriate ejectors then ejected properly), so it was working then. But now doesn't seem to be...

Any ideas what this could be? Safety catch problem? (I didn't dismantle the action, nor touch the safety catch at all). Too much oil on the action during reassembly? (It wasn't soaking wet, but I did oil it quite generously then wiped off the excess.) Is it likely to need a gunsmith to look at it, or is there something simple I can try? I've clicked the safety on and off a few times, opened and closed it, and it makes no difference. I've also tried tapping the butt of the gun on hard surfaces, as I know Lanbers need the recoil to cock the hammer for the second shot - still makes no difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My mates lanber last yr had the same problem he took it to the gunsmith and it cost him £60.00

Sure he said it was a pin that snapped but don't no without checking,

3 weeks later his dads lanber went with same problem, he did say it was a fault they have but both the guns are 8 yrs old and this was the 1st problem they had and they only clay shoot together same amount of carts, strange how the other went within 150 shells .....

Edited by delburt0

Thanks chaps. I managed to get it to pieces, and managed to fire both hammers manually. The problem was that the little metal thing that the trigger pushes upwards to release the sears isn't sitting in quite the right place. I can't figure out quite why - the selectable barrel mechanism seems to be working, and no parts are missing according to the exploded diagram from the manual at Steve's pages. But, the little metal thing is sitting too far back, so the two flanges at the front of it don't quite touch the sears on the back of the big bits that rotate forward to push the firing pins. (I hope this makes sense!) I'll try and take a picture to see if that makes it any clearer...

I can lift the pin that chooses which barrel fires first right out of the action - I'm not sure if I should be able to do this or not? The manual I have doesn't quite match my gun, in that the manual doesn't seem to have selecable barrels... There are no loose parts, but there is a hole (aligned from butt to barrels) in the barrel selector pin, and there is nothing to sit in it - I wonder if there should be something here to hold the barrel selector pin in place?

Thanks Gordon

Actually, I found the missing pin, and got it back into the barrel selector. Gun now cocks and fires! :yahoo:

However, in getting the selector out to get the pin back in, I seem to have bent the pin that holds the safety catch into the action. :oops: Now I can't put the safety on and off. ******. Anyone know where I can get a replacement pin? Failing that, it will have to go to the gunsmith as it's not safe as is...