What gloves?

Tim85

I have had two pairs of MacWets, the first fell apart at the finger seams and the elastic bit at the wrist came away, very soon after I bought them.

Assuming it was just a rogue pair, I bought some more and guess what happened..................................................they went the same way.

I have deduced that the stiching doesn't like getting wet.

I use the musto wind stopper gloves not waterproof but I find they are warm enough for me even on the marsh

Sadly I bought a pair of MacWets just before this thread was started. So I'm now not expecting much from them. Ah well, if they fall to bits, I'll get some sealskinz and put it down to experience. :/

McWets are claimed to be used by the police amongst others, they are also branded with many other names - Musto might be one, I think Barbour is another. Not 100% sure on all the other brands but if you look at them you will soon spot that many use them.

Mine have not fallen apart and I got them second hand fro a lad on PW .... if they had I'd be straight back on to the manufacturer/importer.

Sealskinz do seem to be very popular on here.

Millar Mitts for me. Not waterproof but they remain warm when wet and I have some, now rather tatty, that are well over 25 years old.

Recently found a source for replacements and have a new pair in the drawer for when the old ones finally give up the ghost.

Try the riding section in Countrywide Stores. They have riding gloves with rubber gripping which is ideal for gun handling in wet conditions. They are not waterproof though. They cost something ridiculous like £3:50/pair and I buy a few pairs at a time (rash and extravagant I know) and when they are worn I throw them away.

A word of warning for those who have never visited a store that sells riding gear - do not get carried away by all of the whips and harnesses on view.

Thanks Everyone for there comments on this, its been an eye opener compared to my first thoughts! Thankfully i mentioned it to my Mrs and she had got me some Neoprene gloves for Christmas (which are to be sent back) and I had a look at them and I agree they would not be warm and felt too ridged and awkward.

I have ordered the Sealskinz hunter gloves rather than the Shooting ones. Something about the fold back finger made me feel like i would be sitting there with one cold / slightly wet finger when i only use single trigger guns, which would easly fit a gloved finger in! Plus the fact that a few people have said the magnets catch rounds in your pockets which i can see getting annoying.

Happy shooting! :shoot: