Fox Caliber Poll

stevethevanman

Fox Calibers  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these would be more suited to killing fox if you had to decide

• 17 Remington
    • 204 Ruger

Hi steven,

I had the .204 for 6 months and as we cant as yet reload over here in southern Ireland, from my experince, i did not have much sucsess with it at all. :P

Their was only 2 different types of factory ammo available for it, which i think is still the same, over here anyhow and that was the 40 grain v.max Hornady and 32 grain, in Hornady aswell.

Most .204s, wont group the 40 grain well, mine a Ruger MKII bolt action, grouped the 40s in a 4 to 5 inch grouop at 100yds :D:D???:yes:

I tryd the 32s and they just got under an inch. :yes: Mostly 1 & a 1/2 inch.

I persisted, floated the barrel, got a timeny triger for it, ect ect, still no joy :lol:

Another alarming thing i found was the 32 grain bullet its self, did not penatrate the fox consistanly, so out of say 5 shots, 2 would make a splash wound on the unfortunate animal and you would have to be super quick to follow another shot or 2 to kill it. :lol:

In other words, the bullet would explode on the skin surface of the fox, causing a small crater, but not penatrating the vitals, ie, heart lung area.

I, eventually got a CZ 527 .223 and have never looked back since. ??????

Go for .223 my freind for fox, you wont regret it :P

Im sure, with a lot of work and time, money ect, the .204, if carrfully reloded, would make a good fox caliber, but who needs that, when the .223 can do it all and better, for a less price. :P

I did not vote for any of the 2 calibers above, as i have a personall dislike for both. :P

Good luck and i hope you find the right caliber that makes you happy. :P

Frank.

I have a 17HMR, a 204, a 222, a 223, a 22-250 and still prefer a 25 (25-06 or 25WSSM - I no longer have a 243) for fox.

The Police Forensic Lab Report - Northern Ireland actually recommend the 243 as being the most able and suitable calibre for fox and as such I suggest you consider the larger rather than smaller cals for the job you are wishing to do.

There is no reason why the smaller cals will not do an excellent job if you play your part but since my marksmanship is not always as goods as I would wish I find some solace in the extra killing power of the larger cals and heavier weight bullets.

Also they are nearly as flat shooting as the small cals and for normal ranges (80-250) will be fine with x hairs on point of aim if zeroed 1" high at 100yds.

Another point is wind drift,both of the above will drift alarmingly and the .22 cf`s are much better holding in a wind and they will shoot AND KILL at extreme range if there is the right person at the end of the gun.

Eh Frank :good:

Spot on H :lol::good:

Happy New Year to you all. :lol::lol::lol:

Frank.