Nitesite NS200

Alanl50

Right a question for those that KNOW are they any good???, a farmer friend of mine is thinking of getting one and I said I would ask the question.

To be used for foxing mainly.

Are they any good for 200 yards that the max distance to be used, average 60 to 130 yards or do you need add an additional illuminator etc ???????????

Battery life?

Help please

Alan

Hi Alan. They are very good mate, especially if you 'tweek' them a bit. I had one, and fitted an extra IR lamp, which increased the range to over 350+ yards. The company state 200 yards, but even without extra IR, you can see fox sized targets much further.

Like most add ons, the NS200 will work better with a parallax adjustable scope, but can still be used with a non 'pa' one. I sold mine through lack of use, but once shot a rabbit, which I could see clearly at 132 yards. The supplied battery was okay, and I found it not to be heavy. I also bought some smaller ones that could be strapped to the rifle stock. To reduce the glare that was reflected from the monitor, I fitted a filter to reduce it, and it worked well.

Steve.

Many thanks Steve and crossy 666,

He uses a Leupold scope VX2 on top of a Tikka .222 rem, no adjustable parallax on it, 12volt I assume? he has some lithium batteries which he uses on his lamping light now so Im sure we can make a fly leads to suit, where did you get the filter from Steve?

No the farmer cant be bothered with fiddling trying to make one he just wants to buy it, fit it and shoot lol

Thanks again

Alan

Many thanks Steve and crossy 666,

He uses a Leupold scope VX2 on top of a Tikka .222 rem, no adjustable parallax on it, 12volt I assume? he has some lithium batteries which he uses on his lamping light now so Im sure we can make a fly leads to suit, where did you get the filter from Steve?

No the farmer cant be bothered with fiddling trying to make one he just wants to buy it, fit it and shoot lol

Thanks again

Alan

I bought my filter off mick miller on here. It's good quality and reduces glare.

I have used mine for rabbit on 22LR and hmr, fox on 243 and pigs on 308 and for the money they are brilliant. I wouldnt say it was a 200yd shootable nv, but who needs that range at night. I forked out the extra 90quid for the lithium battery( now included in the new kit) and wow, no wires and very light, it comes with a very handy stock pouch. I have modified mine with a switch to turn it on and off as the original one on top of the monitor is loud and clumsy ( if anyone wants the details were to get said switch just pm me) I also had some spare lamp mounts that have allowed me to have the monitor on the side of the scope rather than on top, feels much more shootable being lower down. A great bit of kit that can be just put onto a normal scope. As with any NV scope set up it is a great combination with either pulsar 750recon or similar NV monocular.

I really like mine. And it now is accountable for many foxes and rabbits. What I do like is it save a lot of lamping. And one of the farms I shoot mr Charlie are very lamp shy.

It defo pays to have good glass as a mate has one on his hawke scope (about £150 worth) and it's defo not as clear

With a infra red on my light force 170 I can see further that I am capable of shooting !

I have used mine for rabbit on 22LR and hmr, fox on 243 and pigs on 308 and for the money they are brilliant. I wouldnt say it was a 200yd shootable nv, but who needs that range at night. I forked out the extra 90quid for the lithium battery( now included in the new kit) and wow, no wires and very light, it comes with a very handy stock pouch. I have modified mine with a switch to turn it on and off as the original one on top of the monitor is loud and clumsy ( if anyone wants the details were to get said switch just pm me) I also had some spare lamp mounts that have allowed me to have the monitor on the side of the scope rather than on top, feels much more shootable being lower down. A great bit of kit that can be just put onto a normal scope. As with any NV scope set up it is a great combination with either pulsar 750recon or similar NV monocular.

You don't need spare lamp mounts to fit the monitor to the side of the scope, at least I did'nt. I just turned the supplied mount to the side of my scope, and then turned the position of the camera so that the reticule was in the correct position.

I agree though, that it was better to have the monitor on the side. :good:

I really like mine. And it now is accountable for many foxes and rabbits. What I do like is it save a lot of lamping. And one of the farms I shoot mr Charlie are very lamp shy.

It defo pays to have good glass as a mate has one on his hawke scope (about £150 worth) and it's defo not as clear

With a infra red on my light force 170 I can see further that I am capable of shooting !

I found that the scope that I used my NS200 with ( S& B Zenith ) was actually worse than the cheaper brands, probably owing to the quality of the lens coatings.

I used to swop scopes when using the NS200 (on my ,243) and fitted a Nikko Sterling one, which worked better.

I found that the scope that I used my NS200 with ( S& B Zenith ) was actually worse than the cheaper brands, probably owing to the quality of the lens coatings.

I used to swop scopes when using the NS200 (on my ,243) and fitted a Nikko Sterling one, which worked better.

I find mine works best on the bushnell elite 6500 and my doctor optics.

As dekers said 60 to 130 yards is optimum and gives great clarity. Most of my shooting with mine has been a shade over 100 yards. Don't think Im yet to pull the trigger at anything over 150 with it but I can see much further

Without added IR, and on a dark night, I could pick out fox sized objects at 185 yards (measured with range finder before hand) I also shot a rabbit at 132 yards, the same night, and make out the shape etc perfectly. When I used a Blaserlite with IR filter, it increased the visible range to over 300 yards, although I would never shoot anything at that range.

Before I started building my own I had two and for a low cost start to night vision, without having to have a dedicated and fixed magnification digital scope, they are excellent. The customer service is superb.

I would recommend buying a cobra merlin dsa to improve the stability of the camera to scope mount, but its not an absolute necessity. I never needed any additional IR but an adjustable parallax scope is well worth buying, cheaper ones perform better than more expensive ones. Personally I use MTC Genesis for every rifle, but cheaper scopes will perform just as well.

Well I picked up the NS200 from Clarkes of Walsham le willows, straight to the farmer and we had a play about with it, first impressions look good but battery on charge so we'll see over the next couple of days.

Thank to all your advice and tips

Alan

Ive been using my ns200 for over 20 months now and still think its a cracking piece of kit. I use a Cobra merlin dsa . I also use a screen filter and have no problems with glare from the screen. Ive used the ns200 on rats, rabbits, fox and feral pigeons and have found it invaluable. Scopes ive used have include mtc Mamba lite, Mtc viper , Simmons wtc, Hawke Panorama's in ao and non ao all worked fine with the unit. I really like the fact that you can swap the ns between rifles within minutes with no need to rezero which for me is ideal.

I have a problem with ir reflection off the mod ( atec maxim so short) on anything over 7x mag, anyone have a solution for this.

Try putting a bit of tape over the lower third of the objective, so light only passes through the upper two thirds. This can happen with both visible light and IR when the torch is mounted above the scope.

If that solves the problem you want to try a find something that can be put on as a cap when using the night vision. Google 'plastic cap 50mm ID' for instance and then cut a section out of the cap so you can simply push it on when needed.

borrowed a gen 4 night scope from work the other day, with gen 4 binocular helmet mounted goggs.

wont do it again, its not even sport. i was walking up to bunnies 20 yards away and capping them.

obviously, if you have a big rabbit problem and doing pest control fair enough, not sporting having done it.

btw gen 4 operate down to 3 mililux and weigh 50 grams per tube.....

not had a go with the ns200, how far out can you discriminate fox/rabbits?

Edited by mbga9pgf

not had a go with the ns200, how far out can you discriminate fox/rabbits?

I don't have a problem to around 200 yards with the NS 200 out of the box. Remember, the magnification is down to what your scope is capable of, so if it works well enough at high mag, even though the illuminator is running out of steam, 200 yards isn't difficult.

Obviously the weather has to be ok, your eyes and NS200 Focus have to be ok and on the right scope!

I know some use additional illumination and suggest a good bit further.

Not many really push the distance boundary at night and in truth the vast majority of my night shooting (actually the vast majority of my foxes period) is within 100 yards, at these distances the NS200 is excellent!

:good: