bringing guns to Canada

jcbruno

:lol: I would like to join the British Army when my contract in the Canadian Army expires and i would like to bring 3 22lr rifles/ 2 hunting rifles centerfire, and one 12 guage pump shotgun so that i can enjoy shooting and maybe even some hunting well i am their for the duration of my contract with the British Army, i know little of British gun laws just that they are more constricting than in Canada . is this possible or is it impossible

any advise would be great thanks.

We are more familiar with gun law as it affects the British citizen, I would imagine that you would be a Canadian citizen residing and working in the UK.

An American friend of mine in a similar situation (although civilian employment ), applied for his UK Shotgun Certificate and received it with no problems, but he purchased a gun in the UK.

I would imagine that (assuming a clean criminal record and satisfying all the other criteria) you would have no problem attaining a UK firearms, or shotgun certificate (especially if you are in the Army).

Bringing guns in from Canada to put on those licences is a whole different question and I don't know the answer.

If nobody responds with a definite answer, I will do some research with our local FO.

Don't know anything of importation laws but certain guns are illegal here.

Pistols are illegal

semi auto/ pump action centrefire rifles are illegal.

semi auto/ pump action shotguns must be limited to 2 shot magazines - for shotgun cert. - (by irreversible means, not just a plug you can take out but crimped mag tube) unless placed on a FAC (good reason is required if going this route.)

Rifled shotgun barrels for semi or pump shottys are illegal.

Airrifles must be 12ft/lbs or under with more powerful ones being on a FAC.

With the FAC for you must satisfy good reason to hold any rifle so don't know how you could justify holding 3 .22lrs and calibers of centerfires must also be justified. Target/ sporting use must be stated and if sporting then land must be held to shoot over being the appropriate size and have the appropriate game/vermin on it to shoot. Target you must be member of a club I think and show you've been attending regularly.

Shotguns are on a certificate of themselves and you may hold as many as you can store safely but again you need appropriate reason to hold a shotgun certificate - like clay pigeon, vermin control etc. .

All guns must be proofed.

All guns must be stored safely (in a safe) when not in use.

I believe there exists a visitors permit but don't know how that works.

Not a comprehensive list but somewhere to start. Hope this helps.

Not sure, but I think if you apply for a visitors permit initially for the duration of your stay then this kinda gets around it. Saying that, I was speaking to a guy on my shoot the other day who is an Apache Pilot and he was telling me that thanks to the Army he was able to carry out his DSC 1 & 2 paid for by them as part of learning credits and that this helped him to obtain his FAC/SGC with his connection to the Army as they have loads of good prime stalking land that is part of the MOD. Maybe when you apply to join, this is something you could query with them and they may be able to advise you, especially if you are able to store your weapons in the camp armoury?

Cheers

SS :lol:

PM NTTF he comes over all too frequently for my liking and he might have some advice.

LB

:D:D:D

And here I had just finished informing TC and Henry that we were...that WAS you and I .....coming up to see them this year.

:o :( :lol:

I may just have to find someone else to make sherk the duties for a week or so and go out to have some fun

:/ :o :o

PM NTTF he comes over all too frequently for my liking and he might have some advice.

LB

:D:D:D

And here I had just finished informing TC and Henry that we were...that WAS you and I .....coming up to see them this year.

:o :( :lol:

I may just have to find someone else to make sherk the duties for a week or so and go out to have some fun

:/ :o :o

Good luck in your quest old man.

But I am guessing you won't find anyone as stupid as me :lol:

LB

Suffolk Shooter

The dates for the next trip have yet to be fixed. I think LB is still recooping from the last one.....he is a weee bit older than myself you know :D:D:D ......As for the Navigation skills, that is well covered as Trix tells him where to go :o :( :/ .

LB, Trix is not impressed :o with your comments and is now feeling that you do not enjoy her company :lol: You had better do some fast sucking up Mate or she is coming over to kick your *** :o and she mentioned something about releasing the Rotty as well :o :o It may be best to calm her by arranging two trips this year :lol::lol: ...One for the Game Fairs and one for the hunting :o

Oh and dont worry if Pavman wont have us back cause Highlanders Missus sent us an email saying we can all stay there next time.

NTTF

Going back to the original topic the best way of finding out for certain is to wait till you know which uk police force you are going to be moving to then look them up online and get a number for their Firearms licensing department and give them a call