Pigeons

Cyber

Thanks for the help Paul, like i said i'm new to this. ive shot pigeons before but never eaten one or anything like that so would like to know. Is it that the ferals look scraggy and dirty?? again Paul, thanks for the useless reply. :/

cyber,have you now progressed from target shooting to live game ? if so do not go out untill you know the difference.buy a bird book,google it or whatever you need to do but please dont raise your rifle to anything that breathes til you know the difference.respect for your quarry is 90% of shooting.not a pop just advice

Thanks for the help Paul, like i said i'm new to this. ive shot pigeons before but never eaten one or anything like that so would like to know. Is it that the ferals look scraggy and dirty?? again Paul, thanks for the useless reply. :/

I would never eat a feral, god knows what they have been eating.

Woodies are easy to identify:

Woodpigeon%20150604.jpg

woodpigeon7007.JPG

risleymoss-woodpigeon.jpg

Ferals look like Heinz 57, all sorts of colurs and markings.

Jerry

thankyou very much sandersj89, that has helped alot.

Diggers, I have been shooting for years, targets, game and vermin. Firstly i never make a shot if i can't guarantee an instant and painless death. I have shot loads of ferals (now i know!!) but i haven't really gone for woodies by decoying and the like.

Thanks again :/

EDIT: thanks to Dazzyboi aswell!

Don't eat a feral :/

Feral pigeons carry diseases that are harmful to humans. The most common disease passed from birds to man is Psittacosis but over 40 more diseases can be passed from the feral pigeon to humans. Fecal damage causes extreme damage to buildings and monuments.

http://nematode.unl.edu/pigeon.htm

I have shot loads of ferals (now i know!!)

Not exactly wishing to take you to task over your actions, what's done is done, but if you have only just discovered exactly what a feral pigeon actually is, what did you think you was shooting at before and how did you know it was ok to do so?

Well Chris, i'm not being funny but i asked what was the difference between a feral 'pigeon' and a wood 'pigeon'. I do happen to know what a pigeon looks like and its not as if i asked 'whats the difference between a pigeon and a sparrowhawk' then i would agree that you would all be worried!!! oh and also i would never shoot a pigeon or any bird for that matter if it had a ring.

I have shot loads of ferals (now i know!!)

Not exactly wishing to take you to task over your actions, what's done is done, but if you have only just discovered exactly what a feral pigeon actually is, what did you think you was shooting at before and how did you know it was ok to do so?

Well Chris, i'm not being funny but i asked what was the difference between a feral 'pigeon' and a wood 'pigeon'. I do happen to know what a pigeon looks like and its not as if i asked 'whats the difference between a pigeon and a sparrowhawk' then i would agree that you would all be worried!!! oh and also i would never shoot a pigeon or any bird for that matter if it had a ring.

well ive shot loads of pigeons with rings on :/ gosh i here you say !!

but when shot i thought they were feral pigeons onestly even if you could see the ring as a racer or homing pigeon they are usles anyway.

and anyone that has not shot a pigeon with a ring on has not shot many pigeons as its a law of avaerages as you cant possibly see if they are ringed or not when in flight

happy days kirky

ps enjoy your shooting mate

lol, i suppose your right in the aspect of shooting whilst in flight but im an airgunner and its almost impossible to shoot a pigeon whilst in flight (i wouldn't even risk it as it is doubtful that you would get a clean kill if you did manage to actually hit it)

There must not be many ringed pigeons in my area then as i haven't shot one yet (not that i have shot LOADS of pigeons but a fair few) What is actually on the ring, would you have to contact anybody if one were to be shot??

P.S hope everyone had a great new year. :/

dont know what your ment to do with the rings report or :D

but i know a friend that just breaks the leg a chucks the ring under the hedge and

sells it as a feral is this considered ok??? :/ :o :o

well a feral is worth 5 pence at our game dealer

cheers kirky

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about shooting is you have to know what you are shooting at, if not don`t do it. I was beating a few weeks ago and one of the guns downed a sparrow hawk, the excuse " i thought it was a pigeon" I am sorry but if you can`t tell the difference then stay at home :lol:

As far as those fast :P ferals with rings on there is not a lot you can do :good: One bird to look out for this time of year are fieldfair, these can look like collared dove when flying, but doves are normally in ones two`s and three`s where as fieldfair are in large flocks. I f you don`t know what fieldfair are then stay at home and do some home work first.

As you can tell i feel very strongly about recognition, but we have to look after our sport.