Franchi

90jb11

Franchi is one of around 20 makers across Italy, Turkey and Spain producing O/Us with basically the same "Rizzini" design. You can get a plain Turkish version for around £450 and up to a Guerini with wall to wall engraving and fancy wood for 15 times that.

Franchi is owned by Beretta and the guns are good value and properly supported by GMK. Their guns are certainly as good as Fabarm albeit not quite as blingy.

Edited by Westward

Depends what model and how old. A very popular light game gun is the early model Franchi Falconet but the forend catch plate is notorious for breaking and it's a pig to get it sorted. They are lovely guns but there must be loads sitting around unused due to busted forends and no spares available.

I was lucky, I got mine mended by getting a part from the USA but it wasn't easy.

I just recently bought a Franchi Alcione One 20g and so far I have to say it is absolutely fine. It is a nicely finished gun but only had 150 cart's through it so it is very early days indeed and no measure of reliability or anything else at this stage.

The barrel selector/safety is probably not as smooth as it could be, although by no means bad, but that would be my only real criticism so far. Time will tell how it holds up, but at the price point of £750 and with a 3 year warranty should anything mechanical fail it seems to be good value, hopefully the backup of GMK makes that warranty worthwhile should it ever be required.

My other gun is a B725 and there is a clear difference in terms of quality between the two, but is that differential worth £1000?? Probably over a longer time and considering resale value, but the Franchi is great so far.