Out with the 8 bores.

aister

My friend Robbie was down this morning for a bang at some geese and today he brought me a double 8 to try instead of the double 4. The 8 I was using is a Boneham hammer gun with beautiful damascus barrels made sometime in the 1880's and Robbie was using his double hammerless Tolley. Both of us were using his own shells, some loaded with BB and some with BBB lead. The geese was late leaving this morning, possibly been feeding under the moon, but we had good cover and probably the thick end of 8-900 geese came over us in dribs and drabs to begin with then one big lump of 450-500 hundred. It was blowing a gale force 8, gusting 10 this morning so the geese were fairly low coming head to wind over us so some of the shots were way out infront. I managed to bag 6 greylags, 4 single birds and a right and a left which I was chuffed with as they were the furthest out at about 60 yards. Robbie bagged 3 greylags, he might of had more but he was stuck in a bog to begin with and couldn't get the gun moved around very well. When the biggest lump came there was some birds 20 yards up and some 100 yards up and everywhere in between, I had the gun up three or four times then gave up, I couldn't seem to pick a bird and was happy to watch the whole lot heading to their feeding ground, a sight and sound that really gets the heart going, I had six and was happy with that. I was sat waiting at first light looking at the gun wishing it could speak, I bet it could tell a story or two. Not many pictures this morning with the weather but here is Robbie with his Tolley.

post-29954-0-74611000-1384610091_thumb.jpg

thx aister thts the pic fella they are fantastic should get a photo ov the guns up close and closed to show ev'one thx again..can I ask what make they are and what sort ov money w talkn for one ov them..cheers Robbie :good:

The double four is a Fred T Baker, glasshouse street, london. it has 4" chambers and takes a 4oz load of AAA or BB and weighs in at a mere 27lb .No idea how much any of his guns cost, when I ask he just laughs.

• 2 months later...

Any tips to look for when purchasing a gun like this...?

Quality of chambers (pitting etc) - lots of big bores had suffered badly over the years from poor care given their use on the marsh

Thickness of barrels - I always looked for at least 55 thou+ on an 8 bore but others look for more

Evidence of ring bulges from overloads - also loose barrels on the face.

Evidence of undue "cleaning up" - i.e. badly done case colour hardening, poorly cut re-chequering

Cut-down barrels = no choke

Replacement hammers which do not fit.

The list goes on, but after 4 yrs of looking for one several years back, I got to see a lot of poor examples, esp at auctions. There are gems out there, especially if cared for (and used) privately. Also some really good, friendly enthusiasts willing to offer help and advice, esp on wildfowling forum.