3D TV

Will Poon

HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 are just different standards of the HDMI protocol. I'd avoid anything they try to sell you. If you're stuck, buy a cable off eBay for a few pounds - will be much cheaper, or even Poundland for a quid. They are probably trying to up-sell to make up for the low markups on these items. Is he trying to sell you an extended warranty too?

Yeah, 3D is a bit of a flop - except at the cinema. Adding 3D capability to a TV adds next to nothing to the build cost of the TV, but they can charge more as it's a nice new feature people think they may want. Maybe i'm getting old, but the feature creep of manufactured goods is getting worse and worse. They seem to be deliberately adding more features, and focusing less and less on reliability and longevity.

No not yet aris, I told him I'll pop back tomorrow. I just needed to know more about this HDMI cable he's trying to flog me.

Go prepared. Unless they are offering a 5 year warranty for free, check to see what the warranty would cost from a 3rd party like these:

http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/

http://www.compareextendedwarranties.co.uk

Personally I prefer to buy from a shop that offers an extended warranty as standard - like John Lewis.

Save up for a 4k telly instead. For the £1500 you'd fork out on a decent and highly rated 3D telly, you might as well save up the other £1,500 and stick all that towards something that is still going to be useful in ten years time.

Samsung all the way and all their 4K tvs come 3D ready too.

Oh and whatever you do, please don't buy a 4K TV with speakers on the side. Why on earth manufacturers think that making a really expensive TV with 15 watt permanent useless speakers on either side is going to be appealing to the consumer, I have no idea.

In the flesh, this is a beast of a TV. http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue55f9000/sams-ue55f9000

Edited by Billy.

I never see the day I'll sit down and put on a set of specs to watch some telly

I have had to do that since i was 8 years old, saying that need to do it for everything now!!

My grandparents recently spent a small fortune on the newest sony 3D tv and must admit its awesome they have the full separate stand with the speakers and sound bar, the full experience is pretty amazing considering your sitting in a living room and really well worth it.

However like all things there are cheaper in the market which my dad has and its no where near as good TBH and i wouldnt bother buying the cheaper one.

Edited by ferguson_tom

3D tv is something the manufacturers are desperately telling a sceptical market it's something we really need.

I never see the day I'll sit down and put on a set of specs to watch some telly

Have you not seen the advantages of gaming on a 3D tv? Instead of having splitscreen viewing, the TV broadcasts one player's screen in one polarity and the other player's in the other polarity. Both wear specs and get a full screen of what they're playing.

Edited by Billy.

Save up for a 4k telly instead. For the £1500 you'd fork out on a decent and highly rated 3D telly, you might as well save up the other £1,500 and stick all that towards something that is still going to be useful in ten years time.

I'm not sure what the point of a 4k TV is right now. There is nothing broadcast in 4k, and there is hardly any 4k physical media (or players).

Unless you're an Audiophile/Videophile and gets a kick out of having the latest and greatest, you're probably better off getting a good 2D/3D tv now, and then updating in 3-5 years time.

Have you not seen the advantages of gaming on a 3D tv? Instead of having splitscreen viewing, the TV broadcasts one player's screen in one polarity and the other player's in the other polarity. Both wear specs and get a full screen of what they're playing.

Very cool - I believe Sony have a patent on that - and with the right equipment can even give each player 3D (120fps)

Edited by aris

I'm not sure what the point of a 4k TV is right now. There is nothing broadcast in 4k, and there is hardly any 4k physical media (or players).

Unless you're an Audiophile/Videophile and gets a kick out of having the latest and greatest, you're probably better off getting a good 2D/3D tv now, and then updating in 3-5 years time.

Once you start hitting 55+" screens the pixels just become really obvious as they space out to fill the screen. 4K is there to fix that. Yeah, there's nothing there that's currently broadcasting in that, but in the same way you watch upscaled HD content and probably never realise it's upscaled, the TV would do the same for 1080 stuff too.

Granted, it's not going to be as immersive as watching a 4K broadcast, but from what I've seen, it's really impressive.

The Samsung line looks pretty future proof to me. Razor thin and doesn't come with a separate box like the old HD plasmas used to, as they couldn't pack all the tech into the screens. The only thing which will hurt is the cost as is comes flying down over the next five years.

I bet you that 4K will outlast the current 3D trend though. 3D will take a new lease of life once the Occulus Rift gets on the market.

Edited by Billy.

I've just bought a new Samsung telly from John Lewis. I did quite a bit of research and temporarily joined Which? to access their reviews, (special offer, one month for a quid). I bought one of their best buys. 3D was well down the list of options I was interested in, but TBH all the tellys in my budget came with it anyway. I was pretty sceptical about it, but having watched Dredd and Avatar in 3D on it, I must admit they did look awesome. I can't see me using 3D loads apart from the occasional film, but I didn't really pay extra for it so I'm happy enough. Oh and yeah, it works fine with a bog standard HDMI cable :yes:

The Samsung line looks pretty future proof to me. Razor thin and doesn't come with a separate box like the old HD plasmas used to, as they couldn't pack all the tech into the screens. The only thing which will hurt is the cost as is comes flying down over the next five years.

The technology shift which will make me upgrade from my current plasma is not necessarily 4k, but OLED. That may well come in the guise of a 4k TV. Being an early adopter of 4k technology, as you say, will be taking a hit as the price comes tumbling down.

HDMI there are 2 types of cable only Standard speed and high speed that it nothign else is allowed with the HDMI logo

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Both are available with or without ethernet...http://cpc.farnell.com/_/rpi-hdmi-1m-av20599-psg03532/hdmi-lead-high-speed-1m/dp/AV22655 £1.38.......

OH and richer sounds are supporters of many anti activities........

Oh and 4k is a misnomer its actually 2k when compared to 1080p

Edited by HDAV

3d tv is not for me as you look at a rectangular box with stuff projected forward, any high speed images just blur making me feel sick.

At the cinema unless you sit near the back so you can see the edge of the screen all you see is 3d which is good.

When the tv versions become better with bigger screens I might get one then but not now.

Figgy

Was in PC world last week with MAG357 just having a much about I'm thinking of getting apple TV. As they are now part of the curry's group we looked at one TV the picture was to good to be true. Nice big screen and super thin looked good till we saw the price £8,000 :sad1:

Was in PC world last week with MAG357 just having a much about I'm thinking of getting apple TV. As they are now part of the curry's group we looked at one TV the picture was to good to be true. Nice big screen and super thin looked good till we saw the price £8,000 :sad1:

You must've been looking at the wrong thing mate. An Apple TV is £99 and it's not a TV.

..Oh and Apple isn't part of Currys group, anyone who isn't Apple but sells Apple hardware is an 'Authorised Reseller'

Edited by Billy.