Licence requirements for shooting boar / deer in France?

Boogie

I have just been invited to shoot boar and deer in France (Alsace region) in a few weeks time by a contact through my job. Sounds exciting! However, while I have shot several stags in Scotland with a friend (his gun and land) I do not possess a firearms certificate, only a shotgun certificate for pigeons and the odd duck and pheasant. I understand that we will be using a rifle. So my question is do you think I can shoot or not? I believe I need to apply for a French temporary hunting licence? Please help.

I have just been invited to shoot boar and deer in France (Alsace region) in a few weeks time by a contact through my job. Sounds exciting! However, while I have shot several stags in Scotland with a friend (his gun and land) I do not possess a firearms certificate, only a shotgun certificate for pigeons and the odd duck and pheasant. I understand that we will be using a rifle. So my question is do you think I can shoot or not? I believe I need to apply for a French temporary hunting licence? Please help.

Perhaps you should ask your contact what he is arranging and what you need to arrange! :good:

I might be some use here , I am also going to have a go at shooting boar and deer shooting in France in January . My girlfriend is french and has managed to get me a invite to witch i could not refuse .

Apparently i will need to send a copy of my licence to the shoot organiser and i will get a hunting licence for the time i am in France . I am not going to take my own gun as it is just easier to borrow one . My girlfriend says that their are wardens that check up on the hunters licences on a regular basis so the licence is a must .

Dekers - you are right, and I have asked but his English is not great, although better than my French - he thinks its okay but I thought I would seek a second opinion.

Alistair0903 - Thanks for the advice. When you say licence do you mean your firearms licence?

Cheers,

Boogie

You need to sort it with the organisers of the shoot, they will be experienced in dealing with "foreign" shooters and should be able to get everything sorted for you before you arrive.

The gun laws in France are a tad stricter than over here, but you should be OK if you clear things in advance.

Cat.

If you were taking your own gun/rifle you would need to apply to your FAO to get a European Firearms Pass.

You also need to get a French Hunting permit (Validation Du Permis De Chasser) covering the dates you are going to shoot.

A French copy of your insurance (if you have BASC they will do this for you, I get mine in German and French and my wife translates one into Polish for me).

I am not sure what you need for using a borrowed Gun/rifle over there though, sorry.

You need to sort it with the organisers of the shoot, they will be experienced in dealing with "foreign" shooters and should be able to get everything sorted for you before you arrive.

The gun laws in France are a tad stricter than over here, but you should be OK if you clear things in advance.

Cat.

Your kidding right........

How can you say stricter, when you can go to your local gun club or clay club and apply for membership, then without any Police visits receive your 'Permit de Tir'. Visit your doc to get it signed then go to the local shop and buy to your hearts content...

Want Pistols and Semi rifles--- then it's possible but only after a probation time with the club and a friendly chat down the local 'Police Municiple' with your requests for whichever items you wish to buy.

It's all very simple- you can even get the permit by just joining the 'Federation de Tir' for either target or Clays and not even joining a club--- just a postage stamp needed to send your application.

When it comes to hunting any form of wildlife, that's when it is way stricter than the Uk- as described in another post then a 'Permit de Chasse' is required which involves a multi choice exam followed by some practical training / assessment.

Even when you have this there is a limit on what and where you can shoot.

Spent several years there and enjoyed many forms of shooting, except for their strange interpretation of DTL where they move along a peg after every shot?