mitsubishi pajero - whats your thoughts

Steve_in_Devon

Buying any old 4x4 for around your budget will be full of problems, so as long as you budget for cost price plus 100% and lots of headaches/man hours to put these things right then you'll be fine. I bought Paj a yr ago and it's cost just as much too put it right than it did to buy it. All I will say is buyer beware and do your homework, the pocuk is full of useful info and trust me you're going to need it lol

Mines for sale as of early jan if you're interested! With pretty much everything put right that goes wrong

Buying any old 4x4 for around your budget will be full of problems, so as long as you budget for cost price plus 100% and lots of headaches/man hours to put these things right then you'll be fine. I bought Paj a yr ago and it's cost just as much too put it right than it did to buy it. All I will say is buyer beware and do your homework, the pocuk is full of useful info and trust me you're going to need it lol

Mines for sale as of early jan if you're interested! With pretty much everything put right that goes wrong

How much you selling yours for?

I have a mate of mine that knows about cars and he would come and have a look with me. He does all the work on my cars for me at the moment. Wouldnt buy anything without his advice.

Pajeros are Jap imports and can be more to insure.

Shoguns are usually UK spec and are cheaper to insure.

The 2500cc are very prone to cracking there cylinder heads.

The 2800cc are a lot stronger and more reliable.

The SWB give a bumpier ride with the axles being closer together.

The LWB give a lot smoother ride with a massive sunroof for shooting and lamping.

In over two years all my 98 flared arch 2.8 LWB Shogun has had is normal Servicing.

And the front injector pump seal £160. Rocker gasket £8. Set of Ceramic Heater plugs £80.

It drives superb and has. Full Leather Heated Seats. Air Con. Cruise Control. 6x Speakers.

2WD. 4WD high. 4WD low. 4WD super low. Transmission lock. Diff lock.

Power & Torque is outstanding. I have had Land Rovers 90s 110s. Discos. Range Rover.

Fronteras. Jeeps. And none have been has Reliable and cheap to run has the Shogun.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Pajeros are Jap imports and can be more to insure.

Shoguns are usually UK spec and are cheaper to insure.

The 2500cc are very prone to cracking there cylinder heads.

The 2800cc are a lot stronger and more reliable.

The SWB give a bumpier ride with the axles being closer together.

The LWB give a lot smoother ride with a massive sunroof for shooting and lamping.

In over two years all my 98 flared arch 2.8 LWB Shogun has had is normal Servicing.

And the front injector pump seal £160. Rocker gasket £8. Set of Ceramic Heater plugs £80.

It drives superb and has. Full Leather Heated Seats. Air Con. Cruise Control. 6x Speakers.

2WD. 4WD high. 4WD low. 4WD super low. Transmission lock. Diff lock.

Power & Torque is outstanding. I have had Land Rovers 90s 110s. Discos. Range Rover.

Fronteras. Jeeps. And none have been has Reliable and cheap to run has the Shogun.

What sort of mileage are you getting, how does it compare the the others you have have. I have been told to expect 30mpg.

97 2.8 TD SHOGUN LWB MANUAL.

SHORT RUNS+OFF ROAD==22 23 MPG.

LONGER RUNS A ROADS== 28 29 MPG.

MOTORWAYS 60 MPH==== 32 33 MPG.

THERE ARE VERY FEW 4X4s THAT WILL GIVE YOU GOOD MPG.

ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE HAD WAS AN OLD DISCO 300 SERIES.

IT DID 33 34 MPG OFF ROAD AND CLOSE TO 40 MPG ON MOTORWAYS AT 60 MPH.

IT WAS A ONE OFF I HAVE HAD A FEW DISCOS SINCE AND THEY HAVEN`T COME CLOSE TO THAT SORT OF MPG.

Has i posted on page one mate. No probs.

Good luck.

My 97 Shogun road Tax is £220 for the year. Thats £4-20 a week. 60p a Day.

So for what it will tow Broken Land Rovers :lol:. And where it will go in the murd. :whistling:

And do it in style and comfort. The seats are like heated arm chairs toasty *** in winter. :lol:

And because of the Elevated Driving position you can read the road well in front of you.

So its a lot safer Drive. :good:

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Had a 2.5 swb Pajero auto for the past 8 years and it has never missed a beat.Just keep it maintained.oil filter.fuel filter,air filter,and make sure you greese it on every service.Apart from a set of glow plugs.and tyer's it has been bullet proof.i am sure you wont be disappointed.

Have a 95 2.8 going into my 5th year,(swb. Auto)'. It is used for my shooting truck and at the moment back seats removed andl like a tip with bags of corn etc in the back.

Have done the pump seal myself, changed the starter motor, and general maintainance done.

It's running on 50/50 cooking oil the moment and never misses a beat.

It's warm, comfortable, quite, and a pleasure to drive after a lifetime of LandRovers.

The MPG isn't the best but it goes where it has to and touch wood as not been stuck yet.

Would I get another? Yes. John

if on a run then a 2.8 lwb will not give you much more than 25mpg. i dont care what others have said their will do, i have had my share and have got to know them rather well. once you start driving around the fields looking for birds then 16-18 mpg at best.

I did run oil for a short while but caused pressure issues in the system, fuel lines popped, filters blocked. rad popped, fuel pump seals went. the fuel pump seals are a common issue. if you can find one that has had the seals replaced then happy days, its a right PITA to change them. and not cheap if you have to send the pump off to be done. check for weep on the half moon seal on the back of the rocker cover. easy fix but common drip point.

change all the bushings and rods as soon as you get, and get the tracking checked straight after. It will be the best £100 spent. all can be one without jacking, buy your self a grease gun and every few months go under and grease her up. there is a plan with grease nipple points kicking around somewhere i miss my fieldmaster, it was the best one ever.

My advice would be to buy the best condition one in your price range that you can I made the mistake of buying a Vitara it looked to be good but had done a lot of miles on it but it ended up costing me more than if I had spent more and got a good one this may depend on if you can do the work yourself I had to pay to get things done not cheep.