Window seals (double glazing)

Nikk

We have what are probably cheap double glazed windows in our hour which have been in for 15 years or so. I have no idea what make they are but I suspect they are leaking around the seal/gasket (where the window closes against the frame). I am not talking about the sealed units as they seem fine to me but when we are in bed at night you can hear noises outside such as people talking etc so there is no way the seal is good. I am thinking about replacing the seals but would anyone know how I am supposed to find out which seals I actually need or is there some generic stuff I can stick in there? Or should I just go to a double glazing shop and get them to do it? We're not going to replace the windows as we want to move house.

Cheers

Nick

if the windows are 15yrs old the gaskets would of been manually slotted into the frames and may of been stretched,so they may of shrunk?stretch them back so all the frame has gasket touching. WD40 might work but if you can see gaps in the gasket this will be rendered useless. You might find that the wedge gasket around the glass or the bubble gasket around the opening sashes has gaps.Hope this helps :good:

Upvc windows are made differently these days and don't have a gasket as such, the black rubber gasket used to be fitted after the beads which on your windows will be on the outside with the gasket inside.

These gaskets are still available, if I were you I would try to find a small independant glass/window supplier and fitter who will come and take a small piece to match and then refit new gaskets, it's an awkward job and one I wouldn't recommend wasting your time doing yourself, get the pros in!

Cheers guys. Think I'll get someone in! The two windows that are making my bedroom freezing cold open vertically so they're probably going to be really awkward.

2 man job. One outside on a platform or ladder, one inside. Open the window and support the weight,.then remove the screws in the hinges. Remove the sash from the frame, twist and post through the opening in the window.

Then the seals will simply pull out, Take your time if you intend reusing the seals as they MAY be perished and just split.

When I was a Fabricator in the 80s I never stretched the seals. Mine were ALWAYS cut long, and forced the ends together.

If you can get the seal out, take a pick of the end! This will give you a hand when trying to source a new section. Plenty of places on the net do seals.

Cut lengths of Cling film to match each windows length/height-roll each piece loosely and then use a kitchen knife to gently push the strips into the gaps (with the windows closed) -with a little work you can eliminate the draughts. In the new year you can remove them and keep em for next year.

Edited by bruno22rf

Cut lengths of Cling film to match each windows length/height-roll each piece loosely and then use a kitchen knife to gently push the strips into the gaps (with the windows closed) -with a little work you can eliminate the draughts. In the new year you can remove them and keep em for next year.

Oooh nice idea!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why I do this...pay someone else to replace a few seals, a job I could have done in 5 minutes.

Anyway I think the windows are warped as they are bowed generally in the middle. I've got storm seal rubber adhesive strips and done all the upstairs windows and then done the outside edge when the window closes against the frame as well and it's miles better.

How does the old saying go....if you want a job doing.....

Good job :) Is it the P shaped stuff or the flat one you used?, I have a wooden double glazed window in my bedroom, there's a nasty draught coming off it, it's like having a cold radiator in the room.

Housing association have had a look, adjusted the locking mechanisms and said it's OK but it's no better. Was thinking of fitting secondary glazing but the rubber strips would be easier.

Yeh it's P shaped. I bought three different kinds 5 and 3 mm Storm seal (P and also W shaped) which is brilliant and a very cheap foam strips for door and window insulation. The latter I used on the outside surface so there was a double barrier.

Only took 30 minutes to do all upstairs and the difference is huge! We have a Wooden window in the kitchen which I used the thinner one on and it worked really well. Heating has been off for 2 hours and the rooms are still fairly warm.

Edited by Nikk