243 choice. ?

rapid basher

I dont see the point of having a 243 and not using the heavier bullets it is cappable of throwing so never go below 75gr myself although mainly stick to 87's so havent shot any 55''s. I get so many requests to help people get 100's to shoot in 243', i have an inbuilt dislike of the 10" twist these days as if you want to go north of the border it is mandatory and why make kife difficult? It also gives a lot more possibilities on the range as you can really reach out with the 105/107's still doing 3000 feet per second to 1000 yards. All that strongly weighs in favour against the ability to shoot 55's in my opinion. It will shoot them though but cant comment on accuracy as without trying them i wont know for sure if they willl overstabilise if driven at full speed or possible even break up. I just dont see the point of 55's though, they soon loose their blistering speed and show little benefit in the wind over 75/87's which are happy well out into the distance retaining more striking energy.

75g is ok, so 1-8 is ok with that?

Yeah, I was out with a pal last Thur who was in the recent Europeans, and he was using his newly built fluted .243 1-8, based on the Tikka Super varmint, 105g into a Roe and it worked, he is also used to V-Bulls at 1000 yards and this rifle delivers. His primary these days is target, so I can see the heavier ammo there, not thought about a 1-8 for the field, and the lighter ammo (actually pretty much any ammo really) in .243 is excellent for general distance fox work. If I need heavier I just use my .308!

Edited by Dekers

Sorry I know you have been trying to sell this gun a while but a 1-8 .243 win is outclassed in fox, vermin and deer by a std factory twist. Its what made the .243 what it is worldwide and why the 6mm rem never did what it should have when launched. Shooting high BC target bullets fair enough 1-8 but that's a one season gun before another tube . If you want to shoot a heavier deer bullet get a 6.5mm up and be done with it as when all said and done you will struggle to find or buy 6mm Hunting bullets that even need or benefit from a 1-8 twist

Sorry I know you have been trying to sell this gun a while but a 1-8 .243 win is outclassed in fox, vermin and deer by a std factory twist. Its what made the .243 what it is worldwide and why the 6mm rem never did what it should have when launched. Shooting high BC target bullets fair enough 1-8 but that's a one season gun before another tube . If you want to shoot a heavier deer bullet get a 6.5mm up and be done with it as when all said and done you will struggle to find or buy 6mm Hunting bullets that even need or benefit from a 1-8 twist

Christ Kent, you do talk some poop. where did you read that? :rolleyes:

Sorry who isn't opening their eyes! 75grn vmax are probably the best fox bullet going and knowing you can shoot deer legally in Scotland is quite a plus point. I use 56grn vmax a bit but have had mixed results at times and keep going back to heavier bullets.

i just bought a rem 770 with scope brand new 400 quid cost me another 285 quid for the mod and to have it screw cut the scope is just a cheap thing but its doing the job so far i`ve shot 19 fox`s in about 6 outings some of the been over 200 yards you dont need to spend loads of money to get started i plan on getting a better scope when i can aford it but at the moment im having fun with what i got