itx shot

ratty1

What are your veiws on this shot,

I'm looking for something with a bit more knock down power to use on my trips to Scotland. Have been using steel for previous trips but I find it doesn't hit them hard enough.

this is for foreshore wildfowling up to 50 yards,have had and witnessed alot of runners with steel.

I've been using a freinds home loads. 3.8mm steel. Absolutely devasting on Canada's ,to much to be Honist. I patterned them at 50 and the pattern was awesome. But sadly the penertration wasn't there. I would preference to use Hevi-shot but I've run out.

I've been using a freinds home loads. 3.8mm steel. Absolutely devasting on Canada's ,to much to be Honist. I patterned them at 50 and the pattern was awesome. But sadly the penertration wasn't there. I would preference to use Hevi-shot but I've run out.

Just my findings on 3.8 mm steel its not up to the job its a duck load in my views .

yep Im with you on this one 3.8/3.75mm is not a goose load after alot of shots in the field for me 4.3mm is about as close as I can get for the perfect steel shot size for geese in a 12g the bigger stuff loves the 10g :)

Thanks for the replays guys.

Would be nice to see the results on those loads roughshooter.

The expense doesn't worry me too much as I don't get a lot of chances when I'm up there,just want the right stuff for when I do,

I use gamebore mammoth 3inch 3s for my general wildfowling down south and I love them. Not many geese over 25 yrds down here.

I did some tests today at 55 yards on the pattern plate. 12g 3 1/2" 42g load and the same in 39g. Both loads were with x12x gas seals and VP70 wads, Alliant Steel powder and 20 gr Buffer,

Initial shots were with a 1/2 Rhino Ported choke and was pleased with both shells but the 42g gave a slightly better pattern. Both have stated velocities of 1500 fps plus. I switched the choke to a .675 SRM Terror choke and have found my high goose load. At 55 yards they were all within a 30" circle with the 42g load.

I tried some 3" loads through my ou with KIcks Highflyer chokes (1/4 an 1/2) 36g buffered loads and was not too impressed. The same loads through my Back bored Browning with terror choke were transformed!!

I need to do a little more testing - but that will have to wait til the spring now as I need to chop and change chokes and distances. Weather was wet and windy today so not ideal to get chronograph out

Hope this helps