200 series enjine L/R

ditchman

Thinking of upgrading from a turbo-desiel 2.5 to a 200 series enjine in the spring what do you rekon i would have to pay for a 2nd hand enjine...whatever i would end up with i would do the head and valves shells etc...if it was a disco enjine i would have to get another manifold as the turbo would be up side down

any ideas ?

Thinking of upgrading from a turbo-desiel 2.5 to a 200 series enjine in the spring what do you rekon i would have to pay for a 2nd hand enjine...whatever i would end up with i would do the head and valves shells etc...if it was a disco enjine i would have to get another manifold as the turbo would be up side down

any ideas ?

350-450 seems to be the rate ditchman. a few rotten discos out there now

I did the conversion on my old TD . You will need exhaust down pipe and intercooler hoses. There a a few that sell then on ebay

I paid £350 for complete lump with intercooler and radiator and air filer box .

You need to tap out a couple of threads on your TD bellhousing to bolt them up properly. Its an easy job that can be completed in a weekend

I did the conversion on my old TD . You will need exhaust down pipe and intercooler hoses. There a a few that sell then on ebay

I paid £350 for complete lump with intercooler and radiator and air filer box .

You need to tap out a couple of threads on your TD bellhousing to bolt them up properly. Its an easy job that can be completed in a weekend

are you peased you did it..and what sort of MPG are you getting at 45-50.....

My Nephew did it last year. Ebay £400 for a rusted 300 Disco. He had the Engine for his 110.

Then asked me could i store some parts that he was putting on ebay in my Garage.

He sold the Gearbox & Trans box £250. Front & Back Axle £100 each. 4x Doors £40 each.

Back door £50. Alloys £100. Interior £80. 4x calipers £25 each. Weighed the shell in for £100.

All gone in a few weeks. He got well over a £1000 for the parts and a free Engine.

It`s not a lot of work when you are just taking parts of to sell.

with the tdi 200 i had in the 80's when i turned the ignition on the heater plugs were on a timer.....light went out then you turned the key....do i transfere the electics or do i stick with the manual glow plug circuit on the old td model..?

Night seacher....sounds like a sweet idea

Edited by ditchman

On mine mpg went from 25 to 31 on general driving . If you swap for 300 tdi you you need to swap gearbox to the r200 from the disco which in turn means you need to modify the gearbox tunnel aswell . It turns into a much bigger job than its worth . Leave all your electrics intact its just a case of pluging in the loom from the disco engine bay .the only other thing you need do is take the engine temp thermostat from your TD and swap it with the disco one or it tells you its overheating because it has a different resistance

A good 200 is becoming harder to find. In my opinion the 200 is the better engine but there's not a lot in it.

With the 300 all you need to do extra is remove the engine mount off the block & make up a new mount (sell on ebay) which goes around the oil filter.

As someone said I'd buy a scrap motor & sell off all the bits.

I've done both so I know what to do, as long as he has an LT77 which I'm sure he will have. All he needs to do is drill out the bellhousing like you would on a 200 anyway.

my mate has just phoned me and said i can have his 300 series disco .......its rotted out but the engine is spanking........i have an LT 77 box on my defender, so it appears that all i need is the gubbins to change the turbo round

comment....

my mate has just phoned me and said i can have his 300 series disco .......its rotted out but the engine is spanking........i have an LT 77 box on my defender, so it appears that all i need is the gubbins to change the turbo round

comment....

comment....

I just left the turbo as it was, don't forget they fit a 300 engine in a Defender. It's not like a 200, one for the disco & one for the defender. With a 300 it's just one engine. All you need to do is cut the down pipe about an 1" long at 45 deg so it misses the engine mount. As long as you end the downpipe in the right place you can use standard exhaust's.

I've done both so I know what to do, as long as he has an LT77 which I'm sure he will have. All he needs to do is drill out the bellhousing like you would on a 200 anyway.

can i put the 300 onto my excisting lt77......?