what do you shoot through your 10/22

How old is the gun and how many rounds have been through it?

The reason I ask is when I first started (many moons ago !!) I was told not to clean it. I was suffering with in accuracy and jams all the time.

So I decided to strip it down and give it a good clean, guess what no more jams (ok the occasional one) and on the money accuracy wise :good:.

I'm unsure of its age but when i got it was full of ****. The previous owner had used engine grease on everything, i was well shocked and the rfd that sold it to me got a speaking too as i thought they would have cleaned it before they sold it. Nether the less it took me a few hours but its now spotless and lubed up as recommended by ruger22.com and has not jammed on me once. I leaded the barrel back up with a few rounds and set to test the grouping at 15, 25, 30 yards it was within 2" and further out it was like shooting a shotgun. At first i thought it may have been my technique although so I set it up on sandbags and they same happened again. So i know that 30 yards and under is enough for a rabbit but ideally id like to bring it down to within 2" preferably 1" all the way to 70-100 yards. Or am i expecting too much from the gun and go get myself a 452 in .17hmr?

Edited by paul2012

which I'm fully aware of, so i was asking what other people use in their 10/22 so I can try them in my gun. I know each gun will take to different ammo but i don't want to go and buy 6 more boxes of different brands to find say winchesters group best and then i have 5 redundant boxes when i could have spent the cash stocking up on the prefered brand.

That's not good enough, and if you can only shoot rabbits at thirty yards, you might as well use an air rifle.

my 10/22 worked best with either cci or winchester subs.stay away from rws as they have a heavy wax coating on the bullets gummed up the rifle completely, even after a complete stripdown and clean it wouldnt cycle right eventually put it into 2 gunsmiths who still couldnt get it cycling right,had to scrap the rifle in the end as it was totally pi**ing me of.