Long tailed duck, how common?

henry d

Never a abundant duck in UK waters the long tailed duck has under gone a massive decline in recent years. In one major UK site the Moray Firth 10,000 were regular a decade ago. The 2011\12 counts show a peak of just 540. This decline is across Europe. The Baltic numbers are down by 65%. Its only a few years ago the estimated European population was around 5 million , today much closer to 1.8 million. A decade ago there were thought to be around 12,000 wintering UK birds, but given their Europe wide decline much less today

Few wildfowlers see them mainly because they are not a marshland duck being found in deep waters often just of a rocky coastline. I did shoot a couple ,years ago before their protection but their taste was pretty strong to say the least. They were both females , had i managed to get a male I would have had it set up.

One big difference between UK and American fowling is the yanks often hunt ducks not for the eating but for the trophy and have good specimens set up. One of the main reasons for the interest in sea duck hunting over there. Having said that they can be made edible , but mainly with strong sauce to hide the real taste.

Edited by anser2