browning 725 aftermarket chokes

affinity121

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy one to answer really with only two choices.

I) Buy the cheapest available as a choke is a choke is a choke. Some claim to be very light and/ or clean., neither attributes would influence my choice and that particular make have had longevity issues which may or may not have been resolved.

ii) If you are that way inclined buy the ones that "look the coolest" Seriously it appears that some people buy aftermarket chokes on what they look like!

IMHO no different make or style of choke will add one single kill to your card or bird to the bag.

Edited by Mr Potter

Teague & briley both do great chokes. Rarely hear a bad word about them and pretty much universally pattern well. Didn't know they are producing DS chokes now.... Great news :)

However if it were me I would try & go for Teague just for the fact they are a UK company.

Found them here : http://www.briley.com/browninginvectordschokes.aspx

However I contacted the UK supplier and they didn't even know that they produced them...

So if i am correct this is how Brownings standard DS chokes measure up against Briley chokes

Browning DS Briley Chokes

1/4 (IC) 0.00 1/4 (IC) 0.10

1/2 (I) 0.07 3/8 (LM) 0.15

3/4 (IM) 0.13 1/2 (I) 0.20

full 0.38 5/8 (IM) 0.25

Therefore making the brownings 1/2 not even a true 1/4 . And brownings 3/4 not as tight as a true 1/2

My next move is to email Muller and ask for there constrictions as they have far less choice and claim one choke can do the job of 2 ?

I hope this helps people , and i am not trying to sell chokes

They have arrived . According to my choke gauge the U2 is very similar to Brownings 3/4 , the U2 being 0.12 and the Browning being 0.13 constriction .

So i decided to weight them on the kitchen scales and the U2 is a full 21 gram lighter than the 38 gram Browning 3/4 choke . So far so good and they do look good in the end of a black actioned gun :good:

Just before I ordered them I wanted to check if they can be used for a variety of lead shot sizes as I do a lot of driven pheasant so want to be able to use them on that too. I believe the man himself "jimmy" does not advise going anything bigger than 6 lead through the clay chokes.... So that basically rules out Mullers as they do not do game chokes yet.

I was planning to use them to shoot phesants too , i didn`t know this . Is any bigger than 6 shot supposed to damage the chokes / patten badly ?

Here is a thread where it is discussed - Luckily I found it before I ordered them : (Jimmy Muller, doesn't suggest anything bigger than 6's in the featherlites)

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=237&t=379820

And as he doesn't plan selling the waterfowl (hunting) chokes until the next season in the US it is going to be a long wait I suspect.